Are they modifications or not?

This must be a dilemma faced by most of us - do you declare the factory fitted options as 'modifications' to the Insurance Company, or not? In my particular case I'm referring to wheel options and the Aero Kit. Both were fitted at the factory and form part of the ordered spec of the car, so in my view don't constitute 'modifications' as it's not modified since leaving the factory.

Under my current policy I informed Admiral that the car had the Aero Kit II installed at the factory, so they added 60 quid to the policy for my honesty before telling me that the car would only be repaired to 'standard spec'. In other words it's insured but if anything happens to it, they won't pay for it, if you see what I mean! We're not talking about a Fiesta here, which could arguably have a standard spec, but a Boxster is pretty bespoke depending on the options chosen at time of order.

Maybe if there are any legal types on here you could advise? Now if we should declare all options, then maybe they could reduce the premiums for PSM (option on 986 but I think std on 987) and Litronic as they make the car safer? (Fat chance!)

I heard a rumour that unless the 'modification' to the car could be directly linked to the cause of the claim, then the insurance company couldn't refuse to pay, but that sounds too much like it's in the consumer's favour which can't be right :wacko:

'Tell em everything and tell it straight' is the only way to deal with insurers IMHO.

If the company takes the view that Admiral did with you then that should tell you something about how they wil react to you in the event of a claim.

I would go elsewhere.

I have had hassles with Bell & Admiral (same outfit) over 18" alloys on a 2.7 Box. They said the same response you got. WTF charge more for them if they are not covering them. Whenever they ask if the vehicle has been modified in any way I now say 'it is exactly as it left the factory'. I had a big argument with a nice woman in Bangalore over the 18" alloys. She asked if the wheels were not standard and replied 'define non-standard' and she couldn't. In the end she asked me to call the OPC and ask them if my 18" carrera's were non-standard. I told her to bog off as I would look like a pr!ck doing that and besides I wasn't going to waste my time. It seems to depend on you speak to.

I did declare a different exhaust on my TT though which cost a few £ but I was happy with that - remaps and booyaka wheels and zorsts should declare, not factory fit options. Should you declare your colour wheel centres? WTF?

The insurance companies will not want to pay out regardless of any options or mods you make so I don't know why they bother.

S

Had the same problem with Admiral but not with my previous insurer Elephant. Which is odd as they are the same company.

Let's face it, insurance in this country is a joke. They want about the same to insure an S4 as a Boxster S. You are much less likely to have a crash in an S4 than a Boxster believe me.

They also didn't drop my premium when changing between parking the Boxster on the road in London and in a garage in Datchet (village in Berkshire).

As the yanks would say...."go figure"

Insurers look at the risk regarding theft from the standpoint of how much shiny stuff it has on it , increasing the risk of being desirable for theft. As far as accidents are concerned , unless the item is not factory approved , i cannot see why it should change the premium as the car should perform in the same way (unless its a power upgrade kit ). If they will only fit standard parts or replace a car without options , then it seems pointless to pay extra cash for the service. it would be intersting to see how they would repair a car with a damaged wheel if you had optional 19" wheels. It would be illegal and unsafe to put a standard 18" wheel on the car , so would they fit 4 new 18" wheels to a 987 S , or pay the price for one new 19" wheel ? Virtually every car leaving the factory of any car maker is bespoke , be it in metallic paint , a sun roof , optional wheels or a radio upgrade.

Yup, one of the great many uncovered scams of the insurance industry*. I was going to write a series of articles about it, but no mag editor would take the story (fear of losing ad revenue).

Insurance companies base their risk on the base spec of the car. If you make your car more attractive, in their eyes there's a greater risk of it being nicked.

The scam is that, despite hiking your premium to cover the increased risk, that portion isn't covered by your policy.

So, you pay up, insurance company has their increased risk covered, but you lose out if you have to make a claim.

Only some mods will result in increased premiums, though. Sat nav** and alloy wheels are the two biggest.

(* the other big scam is trackers. You're paying to reduce the insurance company's risk, and if you're lucky/unlucky enough to get your car back, it'll be worthless because it'll be tagged as stolen/recovered.)

(** another reason not to buy sat nav. So, that's overpriced, outdated maps, rubbish functionality, unsupported after 3 years [even when under warranty], and results in increased premiums)

(* the other big scam is trackers. You're paying to reduce the insurance company's risk, and if you're lucky/unlucky enough to get your car back, it'll be worthless because it'll be tagged as stolen/recovered.)

Well said that man...

I'm tempted to just email the next insurer with a list of the factory options (in code form only) so at least I'm on record as having told them, and I bet they don't bother to work out what they all are. Hopefully won't increase the premium that way either.

Can also state at the bottom of the list 'no changes to spec since build'.

I'm tempted to just email the next insurer with a list of the factory options (in code form only) so at least I'm on record as having told them, and I bet they don't bother to work out what they all are. Hopefully won't increase the premium that way either.

Can also state at the bottom of the list 'no changes to spec since build'.

Good idea , you may want to leave out that you call yourself "Foot2the floor" when contributing on the forum. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It would make more sense if your insurance was based on the list price of the car (with options) as at least then a definite value is being put on the vehicle, with a weighting for age and risk

Try A-Plan, they cover all factory fit options and will repair the car to option spec. The only options you have to declare to them are performance enhancing ones. I have seen A-plan recommended on other Porsche forums as well. They are also very competetive covering me and fiancee for £500 on a 2002 986S, Business & Pleasure, full no claims, no mileage limit, garaged.

Archived