Insurance when buying a car as a gift

I'm hoping to buy a town car for my mother as a gift - probably something like a little peugeot 107.

However, I'm not sure how to insure it and still keep it as a surprise for her.

I basically want to buy the car, and drive it the 150 miles or so to her house and surprise her with it. This will mean arranging cover for me to do the drop-off (on a car which will be being registered in her name!), and cover for her so she can drive it after taking delivery (though she already has a car which she will dispose of when receiving this).

Any ideas how to best do this?

Gary.

I think you should dispense with the idea of insuring it, and either get her to the dealership, or get it delivered on a low-loader. After all, there's nothing like the feeling of someone being the 'first' driver.

If you drive it to her house, then it will be second-hand. :(

Women dont see things the same as us blokes, and the joy of a new car will not be spoiled by a loving son dropping it off on the day.

Most garages have free policies that last for two weeks, in the hope that you will stay covered by them. Use this and just remember to cancel it.

Thanks for the replies folks. It's new-ish not a brand-new that I'm buying. She wouldn't be happy in a brand-new one - too afraid of putting the first scuff on it, and well, my generosity only extends so far ;)

And thanks Necroscope for the pointer of free policies - you're absolutely right - I left a deposit on a 107 this afternoon and will be collecting it on Saturday including a weeks free insurance (assuming I'm happy with the car when I see it).

Gary.

I collected the car today, though it wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. Basically the free insurance could only be taken out by the new registered keeper, and although if we'd called my mum she could have had the free insurance and then added me as a named driver, that would have spoiled the surprise. So I ended up having to pay £50 for temporary drive-away cover with another company (quite expensive for 7 days on a group 1 car!).

Anyway, given the car has "half" a porsche engine and a distinctive sound as a result, I thought I'd post a pic.

Very funky!!!

A bit "after the horse has bolted" (sorry), but dayinsure would have been a good one. www.dayinsure.com . I've used them before, and I think they are much cheaper than what you paid.

Hey-ho, you've just bought a fairly expensive motor, whats another £50 for a loving mum, eh. :)

Very funky!!!

A bit "after the horse has bolted" (sorry), but dayinsure would have been a good one. www.dayinsure.com . I've used them before, and I think they are much cheaper than what you paid.

Hey-ho, you've just bought a fairly expensive motor, whats another £50 for a loving mum, eh. :)

whats another £50 for a loving mum, eh. :)

Very true! Gave her the car today, after using a BBQ in the sun as a front for getting my sister, brother-in-law and parents over to my house, and she's over the moon :)

Archived