May be claiming on my Tesco Finest warranty...

My box is due her MoT, and there has been a creak from the o/s rear suspension when I go over bumps, and a metallic rattle from the rear at about 3000 rpm, so I decided to book her in to Newcastle OPC for investigation. They said that I may need to pay up front and claim back from Tecso, as they didn't have an account with them, but otherwise should be OK. I was offered a courtesy car, and have it booked in for next Tuesday. Wish me luck!

The "claim it back afterwards" issue might be a problem since sometimes the warranty people want to approve a job before it's done. I suggest you ring them first JIC.

Tesco will definately want to approve the work first. As to claiming it back afterwards, I did that on our last Boxster when a condenser went. It took about a month for the money to be put in my bank account, IIRC. :)

Tesco will definately want to approve the work first. As to claiming it back afterwards, I did that on our last Boxster when a condenser went. It took about a month for the money to be put in my bank account, IIRC. :)

Yeah, the person on the service desk said that they would get approval from Tesco before they started any work, once they'd done the investigation to see what needed doing. This was without any prompting from me - they sounded like they'd done it before.

Hmm, a month is longer than I expected. I guess I'll have to rely on my flexible friend :)

One thing I noticed is that you get MoT insurance with the Finest cover - this includes brake disks. So, if the OPC fail me for needing new disks, then it appears that I'm covered under the MoT part of the Tescos warranty. Seems too good to be true...

They cover the brake discs.....but what for I see a clause coming?

Well, I've had a good look through the policy (online here), and I can't see any clause that excludes discs. They are excluded in the general section, but included in the MoT Insurance section:

MOT Test Insurance

Providing the vehicle has at least three months MOT Test remaining at the start of this cover and the MOT falls due within the period of cover, this MOT Test Insurance covers the cost or repair and/or replacement and/or adjustment to the specified parts listed below as a direct consequence of such parts being cited in a notification of refusal to issue an MOT certificate (VT30 or VRT1 in Northern Ireland). Only one MOT Test (the first one due) is covered by this Insurance. you will need to provide a copy of the VT30 (or VRT1 in Northern Ireland) to support your claim.

Component

Braking system

What is Covered?

ABS modulator, sensors and computers, brake calipers, discs/drums, load compensator, master cylinder, pipes, hoses and cables, wheel cylinders

What is not Covered?

All other components

Archived