3.2S cheaper than 2.7 with Admiral?

DRH986

I've been running some quotes through Admiral's Multi Car policy and the price for my new car (3.2S Anniversary) is significantly cheaper than my 2.7! I've no idea why this should be? It also turns out that the new Porsche is the cheapest of our three cars at £325, whereas our 1.25 Fiesta is £1130! (18 year old son as named driver on the latter...........).

You might find that the 2004 cars had an uprated alarm immobiliser.

Hadn't thought of that! I certainly won't ask too many questions about it!

My main issue now is to find a way to keep old and new cars insured until the old one sells. The ridiculous No Claims Bonus system will probably mean that I'll have to use my NCB on the new one and take a hit on short term cover on the old one. Can anyone explain why NCBs are not applicable to however many vehicles you own? I thought insurance premiums were supposed to reflect risk!

There is at least one insurance company that will let you apply the NCB across more than one vehicle - sadly, I can't remember which one - so this post is as useless as a chocolate teapot.

There is at least one insurance company that will let you apply the NCB across more than one vehicle - sadly, I can't remember which one - so this post is as useless as a chocolate teapot.

I'm currently with A-Plan (Thatcham branch - highly recommended, generally...). Spoke to them today and I've swapped old and new cars on my current policy at no cost (2 months to run) and taken out a new one year policy on a NCB-matching basis with them for the old car for around £400. The deal is that they will cancel it whenever I sell it and give me a pro-rata refund, less a £30-ish admin fee. This looks like a much cheaper alternative than a temporary insurance, though I did need to stump up for the new policy initially. I also cleared out my garage yesterday and for the first time since it was built, it will now comfortably house two cars that it was designed for so the pressure is off in terms of having to find a new home for the 2.7 in a hurry.

• 1 month later...

Admiral seem to be the cheapest across the broad at the moment.

I'm 22 and have a 986 S and I'm paying £1,100 fully comp with 5 years NCB. Personally for my age, I think thats pretty good!

Archived