Another NCB type question

The wife is due to change her car this week.

For the 3 and a bit weeks left on her policy, Swinton "only" want £68 to change cover from one to the other, no change in circumstances, points or claims. No massive increase in value or group either, anyhow. Seems rather a lot to me, given she is getting new customer quotes circa £250 pa for the new car.

The question is, before I ring them.....

If she cancels with Swinton prior to the end of the policy, will they honour her NCB for the year?

In a word, 'no'!

Had exactl the same circumstances last year with Aviva. They were warned that if thye isnsisted on over-charging me for a similar change of car so close to the end of the policy, i would not renew. But they took no notice. Now with SAGA for both the Boxster and the communal household Audi.

I would wait 3 and half weeks b4 taking delivery and use the old car (if possible) just to avoid paying the £68 to the robbing gippos. But I am weird.

I agree.

you are a bit weird.... :whistle1:

Hi

Thanks to all. As I thought, I don't think we can delay collecting the new one that long.

Suppose she could just let the old policy run to expiry date and hopefully keep the new insurance firm waiting a little for the proof of NCB............

Hi

Thanks to all. As I thought, I don't think we can delay collecting the new one that long.

Suppose she could just let the old policy run to expiry date and hopefully keep the new insurance firm waiting a little for the proof of NCB............

No - just been through a very similar scenario.

The no claims period you state must be so as at the start date of your new policy otherwise no joy.

Currently 3. Would be 4 in near future.

Ah ok. Worth seeing the policy through to the end then.

All policies have a 14 day cooling of period with a fixed cancellation charge. You could take 2 consecutive policies and cancel them within the 14 day period......

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not the extra years NCD was only making approx - £30 pa difference. So when all said and done it was easier, annoying, but easier to cancel with two weeks left to run and start a new policy.

As above, taking a new policy then cancelling and starting another etc, when other had finished cost as much as I would have gained in admin/cancelation fees

Archived