How to: Replace exhaust clamps on 986

Boxob

This is a simple "How To" for the non mechanics amongst us! I would rate this as a 1 on a scale to 10 and a driveway job! I assume access to some basic tools - set of spanners, hammer, flathead screw driver, pliers, junior hacksaw and a means to raise the back of the car. If it takes an hour I'd be surprised!

The backbox is linked to the secondary cats by a pair of u-bends. At one end of the u-bend the backbox is attached by a single clamp. At the other end the cat is linked to the u-bend by a sleeve and twin clamps. The clamps rust and break and the exhaust leaks. On my car one of the single clamps broke off, so I replaced the pair a couple of years ago. At the weekend both of the twin clamps on one sleeve gave way. If one clamp needs replacing then the others will soon follow so I would recommend doing all four in one hit!

1 Raise the back of the car - ramps are ideal.

2 Prise (if already broken using screw driver, hammer, pliers) or cut off (junior hacksaw) the rusted clamps either end of the u-bend.

3 The single clamps I bought from Porche for £12 each (probably gone up now) but normal exhaust u-clamps would work although they'll probably dent the pipes and make it very difficult to separate the u-bends from the backbox in the future.

4 The sleeve and twin clamps are about £25 each from Porche but I used a generic pipe connector from an auto factors at £9 each. They look pretty much the same and do the identical job so that's £32 saved.

5 Fit all the clamps and tighten up. I used copper grease on the threads in the hope it holds the rust at bay.

6 Whilst under the back of the car you might as well check whether the heat shields are not lose and for any RMS/IMS leak.

7 Start car, check for any exhaust leaks from the new joints. Tighten further if there are. When all okay lower car.

There you are - said it was easy! Bit of DIY satisfaction and probably saved more than £100 in parts and labour as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Ta for this, am doing mine at the weekend, bought the single OEM clamps from 9Apart and saved a few quid. I am told these citroen sleeves ones are the same fit as the OEM ones, so I bought a pair - £11 each, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Repair-Pipe-Sleeve-Citroen-Peugeot-45mm-x-80mm-77-03-083-443/122166433209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• 2 weeks later...

Just done mine a few days ago now, had a spare hour, very easy to do once the car is raised, my sleeves were so old the bolts were gone, and the crappy A clamps were so corroded I wangled them off with a screwdriver. If I had a few quid more I'd replace the U pipes for something shiny but the old ones are perfectly usable for now, so a good clean and some paste has made a good seal.

It has made a big different in how the car idles now that there's no gases escaping, very smooth, and it now sounds like it should with a throatier burble, so sounds awesome just pootling around the lanes. More importantly it now passed it's mot.

Thanks Boxob for the how-to, very helpful.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, Freddie said:

Ta for this, am doing mine at the weekend, bought the single OEM clamps from 9Apart and saved a few quid. I am told these citroen sleeves ones are the same fit as the OEM ones, so I bought a pair - £11 each, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Repair-Pipe-Sleeve-Citroen-Peugeot-45mm-x-80mm-77-03-083-443/122166433209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Good find, I used similar, but they were 125mm in length and I had to cut them down. Just checked on them over a year later and all is good.

Archived