Who are you insured with

D8EAN

When it comes to that time of year it is the biggest pain in the ar*e ever! Quotes always seem to go up for people and more often then not people have to change companies....

I have just renewed with Elepahnt for a rather large sum of 2k :angry:

I have just renewed with Elepahnt for a rather large sum of 2k :angry:

I think that is cracking for your age... but then if i recall you are a named driver on another policy so perhaps that puts it back into perspective.

still not bad. I was paying 2K to insure a 205GTI 11 years ago when i was 21!!!

I have never paid as much since and i have never since had a car as cheap :) where is the justice in that!

but then 1991 was the hot hatch - joy ride - insurance nightnmare moment so that would probably explain it.

jc

I'm insured with Direct line for approx just over £800 ish.

I'm 26, Full NCB (prot)/Clean License (Touch wood).

Excess £500.

Before I got the Boxster, I had a bmw cabrio that was garaged for a year whilst it was up for sale.

I had what I call a gap car in this time - an H reg Sierra.

I wanted to keep the Sierra to use to and from the station, but when I asked about this, D.Line said they wanted £600 THIRD PARTY ONLY for the Sierra as I had used my NCB on the Boxster.

I questioned that should anything happen to the Boxster, they would be paying for it, and that I couldn't give a monkeys about the Ford.

They wouldn't budge so I Sold the Sierra - now they risk a damage claim on the Porsche which in the event, would be well over the risk of a Sierra that's Third Party ONLY!

I don't understand the mentality of that!

I'm with Tesco. Am 24. Full NCB (prot) (like gallen - touching wood). £1,500 on a 2000 2.7.

Was the best I could find.

Porsche wanted over £2k and apparently quoted a 22 year old on a Boxster £14k just a couple of weeks previously!

Had no luck with the 'Performance Car insurers' that many have raved about in the past.

p

I am 29, full NC living near Birmingham (The Bronx :ph34r: ), driving a 3.2s at £38,000 at 20,000 miles a year. (and 6 points!!)

Tesco quoted me £1,300 (with no courtesy car) Porsche matched it (With some persuasion) with courtesy car and protected no claims (I did have to fit tracker).

I had some ludicrous quotes to start with AA - £2,200 AXA - £2,300 Elephant - £2400 !! :blink:

I found that putting my misses on as a named driver lowered the insurance by £350 with some companies as she is the youngest driver on the policy with a clean licence and full no claims - and a LADY ! They go on the youngest driver sometimes.

Some companies told me they wouldn't insure me as I was to young to be driving such an expensive and fast car !! :lol: I wish I felt young I notice a lot of you are younger than me though did you get similar responses or is it just because I am a Brummie ???? :wacko:

I'm pretty much the same 32, 5 years protected NC, 38K for 2001 S, 15,000 a year was just over a grand for me and the missus with Norwich Union Direct

Elephant, was as they have always been for stupidly priced, they came in at about 3K.

My boxster is ready for me on thursday, so I called up my tesco to change the details from my elise. I called up a few weeks ago to get an idea of the extra, and there was an additional £99 for the remaining 3 months of my insurance year. I called yesterday to pay, and by telling them that I had some extras such as the full leather and 18" alloys, they then said it was £218 extra. I know the car came a week earlier than I had expected when I go the first quote, but how can leather and allow wheels double the amount extra that I owed. rip off..... :wacko:

What extras did you tell them about. Some companies state that it is ok if the are factory fitted.

MikeV

they then said it was £218 extra

Personally I wouldn't have mentioned the leather and factory fitted 18" Alloys, as the car has No modifications after factory spec.

...they'll be charging for metallic paint next!

I'd argue that one big time.

My TT was a grand in August, and the Boxster was an extra £799 until August 2003 - so roughly £2000 I think if it was a full year, 2002 2.7 at £37K with 10K per year, business use as well.

At renewal time, Elephant were the cheapest, but I got Admiral (who are the same) to match it within £50.

When I got my renewal through I realised I had an extra year NCB, 3 instead of 2 - This made a difference of about £50 to Elephant. Deano - if you ever need to claim (touch wood you don't) you have to specify, and strongly defend your choice to have the car repaired by an OPC - otherwise it'll be Admiral's local 'Junky Joe' bodyshop.

Kwik-Fit insurance quoted me £6400 for the TT, they even called me back with this quote - I told them to stop wasting time.

Some places like Churchill and some others wanted one years proof I could 'handle' the car before they would insure me.

Interestingly they were interested in the colour of the car, I'm sure they've got some hidden charge in there somewhere.

Nick - £42K??? Jeeez....I thought I got carried away with the options!

Simon

• 1 month later...

£630 with Privilege.... fully comp with £350 excess on an '01 Boxster S worth £38K, 5K miles a year social/domestic plus going to work, I'm 31 with 9 years NCB, but live in the glorious north of England!

Thought it wasn't a bad quote.

and I've just been quoted £1280 fully comp on the Carrera 4S coming in July - not bad for a 70 grand car I thought.

I called yesterday to pay, and by telling them that I had some extras such as the full leather and 18" alloys, they then said it was £218 extra.

This was the exact same problem i had with all the quotes i was getting when i first ordered my car, everyone quoted me for the cars total price (about £44k) then they ask if its been modified, i said "No, except for the factory options, 18" wheels, sport suspension, etc) then they try to sting me again on these????

It might prove cheaper to insure the base value then issure the extras if they wanna play that game??, but i'll see what quotes i get once i know how many more points i will have :( and when i have finally decided on my spec :)

Andy

Just renewed my insurance. Changed from Direct Line to KwikFit Insurance(!), underwritten by Churchill. £760 for my 1998 2.5 Tiptronic with 18" alloys, up to 1,200 miles a year. I've got 7 years NCB, 1 SP30 (way back in Oct 1998 - but still within 5 years unfortunately), and live in south Essex. Car is garaged overnight.

This was the cheapest quote by far. Direct Line wanted £900 to renew with them.

You guys should try Privilege... I've always found them a lot cheaper when comparing quotes.

However, the way the general insurance market is going each company is now probably competitive for only a very small market segment... so it's a case of finding the firm that fits your profile. In other words shop around a LOT.

Cheers,

Gary D.

P.S. I don't have any affilliation to Privilege... other than having paid them about 5K over the past eight years in insurance fees.

Archived