How to: Headlight conversion Bi-xenon LHD -> RHD

Autothrottle

Greetings all,

I've taken the liberty of writing this short article as the book is less than clear, and the OPC Munich were unable to help!

I need to get a UK MOT for my German 987.2, and one of the things I need to do, is correct the headlight pattern from LHD to RHD, so I do not dazzle oncoming vehicles. The diagram in the handbook doesn't teally do justice to the depth of the toggle inside the headlight unit.

Having used the headlight release tool, I removed each unit, then the relevant screws, lifted what I think is the Litronic box out of the way, but did not disconnect it, and deep in the bowels of the unit, found the offending toggle.

Here are a series of pictures taken showing the relevant part in it's point of Origin and Touring positions.

1) [DSCN7043_zpsvmnprj3r.jpg

2) DSCN7044_zpskyj5kluq.jpg

3) DSCN7045_zpsmcfiiurz.jpg

4) DSCN7049_zpsmsjqrwpj.jpg

I hope this helps somebody!

Very useful chap, and a lot more effort than I realised

Definitely - we're hopefully going to Classic LeMans next year so was thinking I could just flip the beam as we depart these shores - apparently not!!

• 3 months later...
Nota bene both sets of headlights in this thread are from car fitted with bi-xenons

When inserting the extraction tool, it should locate correctly as shown here, with about the same length showing as there is handle with which to rotate it. We had a minor glitch when the complete shaft disappeared into the cavity.
24407571502_bec2de5a2b_b.jpg

The problem was that the tool had gone underneath the retaining bar as shown here
24489665006_e7dd35d85b_b.jpg

This is what we found on opening the rear of the 987.1  headlamp unit
24515866955_7e91264d20_b.jpg

The "normal" as opposed to "touring" setting.
24433493391_b581546575_b.jpg

This was done by Jan and I at side of road while on a car run in about 15-20 minutes - cause of the small issues...

Archived