Insurance Renewal time

Kevin G

As the title states, so Saga send my renewal notice for a MY14 981 2.7, Comp with PNCD, 6k mile per annum spouse as named driver, 15 plus years NCD and both clean licences. Last year the premium was £260 renewal shows £337, a 30% increase. Admittedly I crossed the 65 age barrier last year but this is taking the p*ss. So I call Saga and speak to a very nice lady and express my concerns at the increase at the same time pointing out how long I'd been a customer, wife's car insured with them, house and contents etc and I didn't want to leave them. Away she goes to speak to supervisor and returns with reduced quote of £302.

Thanked her but not prepared to renew at that price, still a 25% hike. I would look at Go Compare etc at which point she said they would match any quote I got as I was "a five star customer".

Went to Go Compare and Admiral would offer same level of cover at £244, so with computer page open I called Saga and spoke with another very nice lady and told her the Admiral quote. Would Saga match it? She waffled on a bit about Admiral being 3* rated compared to Saga 5* but quickly confirmed Saga would match and better the quote by £1 so I renewed immediately at £243.

Moral of the story, never accept the first quote and look around.

Their best price is never their best price on the first couple of phone calls I've come to realise. I'm in my late twenties (some may say a youth), and my premium after lots of time of the phone is £160 less than they wanted to charge me initially for 2015-2016's cover.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2016 at 10:41 AM, Kevin G said:

As the title states, so Saga send my renewal notice for a MY14 981 2.7, Comp with PNCD, 6k mile per annum spouse as named driver, 15 plus years NCD and both clean licences. Last year the premium was £260 renewal shows £337, a 30% increase. Admittedly I crossed the 65 age barrier last year but this is taking the p*ss. So I call Saga and speak to a very nice lady and express my concerns at the increase at the same time pointing out how long I'd been a customer, wife's car insured with them, house and contents etc and I didn't want to leave them. Away she goes to speak to supervisor and returns with reduced quote of £302.

Thanked her but not prepared to renew at that price, still a 25% hike. I would look at Go Compare etc at which point she said they would match any quote I got as I was "a five star customer".

Went to Go Compare and Admiral would offer same level of cover at £244, so with computer page open I called Saga and spoke with another very nice lady and told her the Admiral quote. Would Saga match it? She waffled on a bit about Admiral being 3* rated compared to Saga 5* but quickly confirmed Saga would match and better the quote by £1 so I renewed immediately at £243.

Moral of the story, never accept the first quote and look around.

Maybe the long and involved effort to get a decent quote is why they're called Saga.

I don't shop around too much, my premium is £230 give or take a few pounds, doubt it'll ever get cheaper.

59 minutes ago, cj225 said:

Maybe the long and involved effort to get a decent quote is why they're called Saga.

I don't shop around too much, my premium is £230 give or take a few pounds, doubt it'll ever get cheaper.

If that includes legal aid and PNCD that's a good deal.

I'm only paying about £170 for my 986 S, not protected and no legal, couldn't see the point nowadays with the legal bit as there are loads of no win no fee solicitors about.

Archived