Coil pack replacement

Boxstercol

Going to have a go at changing the coil packs on my 2005 987 over the weekend after OPC advised them at last service due to some cracks being identified.

Any hints / tips / do's & don'ts gratefully received!

Cheers.

Pretty straight foward apart from the 2 cylinders nearest the front of the car either side.A bit awkward.I think when i did mine i had to cable tie 2 hoses away from the area on the N/S.You might as well swap out the plugs while your there and check the coil bolts you are using are the right length as some coils have a thicker baseplate.Also make double sure the multiplugs go back firmly into the new coils when done as if you crack it up on 5 cylinders etc...it will trip the engine light which you will have to clear even if you rectify the problem.

5 hours ago, marts500 said:

Pretty straight foward apart from the 2 cylinders nearest the front of the car either side.A bit awkward.I think when i did mine i had to cable tie 2 hoses away from the area on the N/S.You might as well swap out the plugs while your there and check the coil bolts you are using are the right length as some coils have a thicker baseplate.Also make double sure the multiplugs go back firmly into the new coils when done as if you crack it up on 5 cylinders etc...it will trip the engine light which you will have to clear even if you rectify the problem.

Cheers.

All done now & appears to be idling ok so hopefully I haven't made a balls up of it!! Will take it out for a drive later to make sure all is good.

You were right about the coils nearest the front - they were definately the more tricky ones to do. I found the drivers one more difficult as there wasn't alot of space to try & retrieve the rubber boot over the electrical connector.

5 out of the 6 coils that came off were cracked or showing signs of cracking, not as bad as some I've seen but glad they've been changed now.

You're luckier than I was!  I went for a long road blast a few weeks after changing my plugs, and at 70ish suddenly had EML on, car was shaking like a good one, spluttering badly...  I drove home planning whether or not to break it, how much things were worth etc... One of the coil pack connectors had come off :rolleyes:

On 13 August 2016 at 9:01 PM, cj225 said:

You're luckier than I was!  I went for a long road blast a few weeks after changing my plugs, and at 70ish suddenly had EML on, car was shaking like a good one, spluttering badly...  I drove home planning whether or not to break it, how much things were worth etc... One of the coil pack connectors had come off :rolleyes:

Hopefully I won't get this.... Took it for a 10 mile drive yesterday & all is good. Will be doing 100 miles tomorrow to & from work so will get to test my workmanship!!

Archived