Expensive summer

oddbod

So after getting the clutch, flywheel and IMS sorted last month I developed "one of those sounds from the engine area" driving about. I popped along to Pieperformance in Suffolk to get a diagnosis- off went the covers and took off the belf to identify the water pump bearings at fault. 

Had the car booked in for a replacement pump on Wednesday this week, drove home via the shops, about a 1/2 mile from home a violent sound from the engine area and my battery light came on and no power steering, as I limped into the drive my temperature rose to just under 100 and all the coolant was dripping from under the car.

the wife looked at me and asked if the car is now costing too much money ?

Sorry to hear your still having problems.

Sounds like the pumps possibly seized and thrown the belt off ?

Don't worry about the temperature. I was stuck in traffic the other week, fans cycling on/off 100+ degrees.

Trouble with having no water pump is the water is not being pumped away from the real hot spots around the liners and cylinder heads and you could damage your engine.  Driving any distance like this, you will seize your engine.  

Saying that, I drove mine a short distance home recently after a pulley failure threw the belt off.  In my case the temperature gauge was just starting to climb above normal as I turned the engine off.  Unless you have a very short distance to travel, pull off somewhere safe and get the car recovered or you could be looking at a huge bill.

Archived