Roof won't lock.......

Simo_UK

Must be a week for 981 gremlins!

So, I'm at work in the US when Mrs S calls to say the roof is playing up on the Boxster (yes, she's allowed to drive it!).  Drama I don't need while away and 8hrs behind UK time!

By all accounts the roof wasn't completing the full closing process.  It would close but the windows wouldn't reclose and the hook/clasp wouldn't engage.  Associated error light on the dash too.  Brilliant.  But thankfully under warranty.

I call the OPC and get Mrs S to drop the car off so they can take a look....and store indoors overnight.

Apparently the cause was the roof open button had been engaged at 40 something miles per hour, and was likely to have caused the issue!?!  Took a couple of hours to resolve and was reset with the laptop in the end.  Not covered under warranty but they fixed it FOC (thankfully).

Anyone seen this or had similar?  Only just got back to Blighty, so will call the OPC on Tuesday to understand the problem.

What intrigues me is that the roof shouldn't even open over 31mph, so whether the button had been touched or not shouldn't be of relevance!?!  Odd

2 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Apparently the cause was the roof open button had been engaged at 40 something miles per hour, and was likely to have caused the issue!?!  Took a couple of hours to resolve and was reset with the laptop in the end.  Not covered under warranty but they fixed it FOC (thankfully).

Anyone seen this or had similar?  Only just got back to Blighty, so will call the OPC on Tuesday to understand the problem.

What intrigues me is that the roof shouldn't even open over 31mph, so whether the button had been touched or not shouldn't be of relevance!?!  Odd

That does sound odd and not something I've come across - I must admit it did occur to me that the stated reason might possibly just be a bit of fobbing-off by the OPC.

However one thing I've always wondered - but never experimented with - is what happens if you're under the 30mph limit when you first operate the switch, but then the speed creeps up while it's still working - does it stop the roof moving again mid-motion to prevent further damage, or does it continue its work to get the roof down out of the airstream asap?  Either way you would have a partially-opened roof exposed at speeds greater than intended - could this have been what happened to yours? (I presume the car's logic doesn't actually limit the speed of the car until it's done its job!)

It will be interesting the hear what the OPC have to say when you speak to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this one off.  Roof is fine and continues to work as expected. 

The 'not covered under warranty' bit was due to the fact there was an error logged regarding the switch operation over 40mph. Although there is no time/date stamp to indicate when this was actually done

Debated with the Service guy that this shouldn't make any difference, just as if you pulled on the electric handbrake while doing 70mph.

Asked if there was no error would this have been covered under warranty 'Why of course!'

All a bit bonkers really, but that said great service from Portsmouth OPC who sorted it all FOC, thankfully!

...wont cover under warranty due to beign operated over 40mph?

I'd say Porsche are at fault for allowing the roof switch to be operated above the speed that's safe...it should prevent to allow operation so in my mind it must be a warranty claim on the 'failure to prevent the roof working'  AND the damage caused by the car allowing you too!

Well that's just it. The roof won't/didn't  open above 31mph, but the system logged the switch was operated.....which should be a moot point.

Bottom line is they didn't know what the issue was but had something to hang their hat on to blame.  Thankfully fixed FOC or I may have had to whip up a law suit! ?

Archived