Boxster S - Private Sale no warranty, would you?

runner

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help with regards to specification, another question I'd like to pose, if you found the specification you wanted, but it was a private sale, no warranty but lets suppose it has been Porsche serviced during its life, would you still buy ?

Any recommendations?

Secondly, as an aside, how many previous owners would you be happy with, or are Porsche's like Ferrari's, people own them and pass them on, as they are too luxury to retain or drive daily?

Cheers again ...

a) Probably. With a 111-point inspection I believe you can re-warranty it. You might do something like ask the seller to put it through the inspection on the understanding that if it passes, you'll buy it and pay for the inspection (not sure what they cost these days).

b )  On a 981? Barely an issue surely? One a year?

Given that a car for sale privately should be several thousand pounds cheaper than a similar one at an OPC, you have the saving to purchase a Porsche warranty. The danger is that you use this fact to up your budget on the car purchase price....!

I would not expect a Porsche to have several owners, one every 3 years or so maximum, I should have thought seems average.

I payed £9150 for my gen 1 mint 987 2.7 its got a s__t load of extras fitted over standard..i have had it 3 months and have spent circa £600/ £700 on it.

BUT the same car from a dealer was around 2K more so im still UP....

Buyer beware on private sales ALL CARS cost money @ some point.I love mine

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I would not expect a Porsche to have several owners, one every 3 years or so maximum, I should have thought seems average.

You say that but we have been looking around in OPCs and a lot of the 5-6 year old 987 models have had 3 or 4 owners and when I have questioned the dealers on this point (as I like you believed they should have much less) every dealer without fail said it is quite common as they find their customers often are returning to upgrade to a better model/higher specc'ed quite often every 12-18 months at least.

Not my thought but they seemed as genuine as a dealer could seem ;)

Private sale: Yes as long as I either knew what to look out for myself or could get it looked at by someone who did. Just realised though (from boxsternoob's comment above) that you recently said you were looking for a 981 ie a <5 yr old car.  So it makes sense to spend more time/money getting it looked over - including possibly a paid-for inspection.

Number of previous owners: Although it's not my way, some people do buy and sell Boxsters quite quickly. There are people on here that just want the experience of owning one and can't afford or justify to themselves to keep it long term. Some buy one just for the summer. But if I saw that more than one owner in a car's recent history had only owned it for a year or so I would probably play safe and keep looking. There should be plenty enough 981's out there that you don't need to chance it (esp if buying privately).

25 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Private sale: Yes as long as I either knew what to look out for myself or could get it looked at by someone who did. Just realised though (from boxsternoob's comment above) that you recently said you were looking for a 981 ie a <5 yr old car.  So it makes sense to spend more time/money getting it looked over - including possibly a paid-for inspection.

Number of previous owners: Although it's not my way, some people do buy and sell Boxsters quite quickly. There are people on here that just want the experience of owning one and can't afford or justify to themselves to keep it long term. Some buy one just for the summer. But if I saw that more than one owner in a car's recent history had only owned it for a year or so I would probably play safe and keep looking. There should be plenty enough 981's out there that you don't need to chance it (esp if buying privately).

Thanks Jon,  I guess that is it really, private definitely saves some money and I'm not a complete engineering / car novice, but knowledge of Porsche 981's knowledge is my shortfall, not cars in general.  So what to look for, some have said leaks in boot from the coolant.

If I don't go it alone, then knowing who to get out is the key, as people are saying the Porsche 111 checks isn't worth it and RAC / AA is a superficial check ?

Cheers again.

Hi runner hope the search is going well

personally I wouldn't buy without a warranty, however, as others have said you can pay Porsche to do a comprehensive check which I believe is about 140 squid, and then they will offer the 2 year warranty at about 1600  if the cars in good nick. 

My figures may be plus or minus a few hundred but a good friend did this and got 2 years warranty, 2 years Porsche assist and the check done for less than 1800 all in from his dealer.  That was on a 2013 boxster S PDK,

i personally think that's pretty decent value at 70 - 80 per month, but I've had some seriously big bills in the last few years on my 6 gran coupe and 7 series that the BMW warranty covered so I'm a little bit biast on warranties at the minute. 

The other warranty companies like warrant wise etc will cover you for less but they won't pay Porsche labour rates, essential meaning that your car will get it fixed at non Porsche garages so I would swerve them unless they are crazy cheap.

Archived