advice on ticking from engine

alank

Hi my 2003 S has a ticking when cold that disappears after a while, but is slightly evident when warm. I have read loads about this on boxsters and 911, I know about lifters filling with oil, and draining away when left, etc. My problem is I have a couple of months warrenty left on the car, and if I go back with it , is it going to be  "Oh that's quite normal with these cars"

.Is it normal with these cars? I expect you all are fed up with these specific questions that have been repeated, but I would like to be For Armed with some factual information if I go back with it. Perhaps , it is quite normal, theirs a lot going on in their with chains, adjusters , lifters etc.  Thanks for any advice

I have a 2002 S and she ticks like a good 'un even when warm. I think a lot of the ticking is down to the injectors. They were so noisy I took them out and sent them off for a clean. Didn't make a bit of difference so I just put it down to "they all do that"...

never had a "ticking noise". Had very annoying rattle for a while though on idle, ended up being usual heatshield and old CAT's. It's pretty silent mostly (2000, 2.7). If you have a video or sound would be good to post it though?

Having just driven the car, a more accurate description of the Ticking is that it sounds like a tappet would do, the noise disappears when reved to 1000rpm, but is evident whilst the revs are returning to tickover. Ive read that an injector only ticks whilst reving up, not returning to tickover. When warm, their is hardly any ticking at all.  If it is a lifter, can it be lived with or should I get it looked at.

I don't really want to put cleaner (winns, etc) into the oil as I here it can cause more problems than cure   thanks  

Thanks for the video post, mine is a lighter noise than that. That  sound in video reminds me of a small end  bearing. Think mine is lifter, not sure though whether to ignore or take it back to garage. I will check my plugs at weekend to check not loose( another cause of tapping noise apparently). Thanks

Also worth checking for exhaust blows around all the joints etc

My 03S has a slight tick when you stick your ear close to the drivers side vent which I believe is an injector, it is very slight and like a fast ticking clock is that makes and sense.

Hi there 

My 2002 s ticks from time to time. I've never really got to the bottom of it, I think it's my is the injectors. Seems to come an go but I have put lifter cleaner in the oil and also some Redex in the fuel.

At the moment it seems fine but I think a lot of mine maybe do with lack of use as it's a weekend car.

I have had some loud ticking before leaks in the exhaust, which sounds odd but if you're gaskets are leaking it makes a really loud ticking noise!

Have read about this before. Seems to be worse if using 0w40 oil. Some, including me use 5w40 oil and it is much better. Also worse if it isn't driven regularly but quietens down again when it's had a wee run.

Archived