Number Plate Light holders + fuse advice

Jackal81

hi all , just looking for some advice

noticed that my rear plate lights are not working , decided to update them with LED bulbs

issue i have is that when i put the bulbs in the holders and turn lights on the dash lights turn off +it  blows the fuse (row a , fuse num 5)

without the bulbs in the dash lights are fine , as soon as put the LED bulbs in and turn lights on the dash light goes and the fuse blows

have inspected the holders and left side has some green limescale / corrosion , i pulled the spade connector out , wass really stuck with the limescale and sanded it clean - thought this would sort it but no joy

also have read that LED are polarity sensative so is the fuse blowing because i havent managed to get all the limescale of the copper contacts or is it because im putting the led bulbs in the wrong way ?

the old normal bulbs that i removed were both dead

just looking for ideas before i shell out for new bulb holders ( would have to buy both sides even though only one is corroded as they wouldnt match , i have a little OCD when it comes to cars lol )

thanks

- Matt

Sounds very odd. If you reverse the LED's they will just work or not work - nothing should blow a fuse. It sounds to me like the earth and live are touching somewhere due to corrosion in the bulb holders. Also I would check the plug connectors for corrosion.

This would be an easy solution to both your problems and far cheaper than  replacing the standard bulb holders.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-Turbo-GT-Boxster-986-LED-License-Number-Plate-Light-No-Error-/201592326570?fits=Plat_Gen%3A986&hash=item2eefd6c9aa:g:6zkAAOSwpLNX8yhu

I have a similar pair of the above linked lights after my originals were very corroded. 

Archived