DVD player option

runner

Hi all, since my last two ... 'normal cars' had DVD playback as norm ... had hoped that the Porsche would do so too ... but I'm assuming now, having tried a DVD and found it to just play soundtrack only ... that you have to have Tv Tuner option to get DVD playback ?

Shame but no real issue I guess, as soundtrack behind my back is pretty good !

You had to option 'TV Tuner' for about £1000 to have the facility (not sure about  987's but it was available on 997's) , I'm not sure if this let you play DVD's as well but guess it would have..

Never really understood when you would have wanted to watch TV or a DVD in a Boxster/911 anyway...it wouldnt allow it whilst driving...

Only reason I've used it before is for a break at lunch times at work sometimes ... watch an episode of west wing for eg ... whilst fetching a sandwich from Sainsbury's ! ? ... thanks for the reply. 

3 minutes ago, runner said:

Only reason I've used it before is for a break at lunch times at work sometimes ... watch an episode of west wing for eg ... whilst fetching a sandwich from Sainsbury's ! ? ... thanks for the reply. 

I watched the entire season finale of breaking bad in my 6 series in a Tesco car park with a KFC meal.  Slow traffic off the retail park so I thought I'd watch ten mins... 5 hours later I was still there haha.  Yep I miss this feature in our cars

My old BMW has a DVD player in, but I tell my missus that she can only watch DVDs that I have already seen, otherwise I'll be tempted to glance at it while driving. :shutup:

Am a little surprised that since dvd playback is quite common in cars now that Porsche haven't elected to offer it too as part of the normal PCM .. After all they provide the sound ? 

On 06/11/2016 at 7:53 PM, boxsternoob56 said:

You had to option 'TV Tuner' for about £1000 to have the facility (not sure about  987's but it was available on 997's) , I'm not sure if this let you play DVD's as well but guess it would have..

Never really understood when you would have wanted to watch TV or a DVD in a Boxster/911 anyway...it wouldnt allow it whilst driving...

I always assumed that TV would be disabled to the driver when the car was moving. I've been in cars with TV/DVD which had a screen which could only allow viewing from the passenger side with the car in motion. All very clever.

Hi Nobbie,

Yes precisely, My DD has DVD on it ... as soon as you move quite rightly the screen blanks out but if you park up and put the brake on you get vision too ... am amazed that Porsche provided 5.1 Dolby sound but not put the vision on that fabulously sized screen on the PCM !

My DVD on the BM disables when the parking brake light is extinguished.  If the lever is only up two notches, the light is on but the brake is ineffective. :whistle: 

Archived