Surprised By Corrosion

Nala

I have had my 987 for three months now and I am working my way through a list of jobs. It's a 2007 model 2.7 tiptronic with a low 50,000 miles and with full dealer service history. I have cleaned and reproofed the hood and replaced the side elastics. Replaced the rear brake pads and sensors. Upgraded the lights. Stripped the drivers door to cure rattles and apply soundproofing. Sorted the shifting drivers seat, Removed the front bumper assembly to clean out the radiators and various other small snags as well.

I have removed all the underbody protectors and cleaned out seemingly buckets of dried mud and sprayed around with ACF50 anti-corrosion. A fair bit of surface corrosion was removed from the brake pipes and repainted. However what really surprised me for a top end car is the amount of corrosion on various brackets and fixings under the main front underbody cover. I will treat this area with ACF50 after a good wire brush but I wondered if this was usual? Where I live in East Kent in the UK where the car has spent all it's life is subject to salt on the roads in winter and many of the smaller roads have mud from the farms as well. However I had an MGB for 27 years in the same area and although garaged and pampered never saw the same level of corrosion.

Welcome to the site. :)

I guess "They don't build them like they used to." could be applied to the later cars, which were a lot cheaper in real terms than the first Boxsters that were produced in the late 90s.

Where in E Kent are you?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Nala said:

Hi Araf. Thanks for the welcome. I live in Ashford. I'm guessing you're near Dover?

:o  You're psychic. ;)

Yes, I work in Dover, live just outside.  My younger brother lives in Kennington, so I do get around your area, from time to time. :) 

I'm a medical equipment engineer and one of my contracts was the old Buckland hospital in Dover. I used to maintain the anaesthetic machines in theatre there as well as the old hospital in Deal and the Victoria at Folkestone. All gone now.

The 987 is tucked away for winter now within my heated garage and a de-humidifier installed in the interior set at 50% relative humidity. About the same as the Nevada desert!

Hi and welcome!

The cycle of very low temps and very hi (for the time of year) cause the car to sweat!

I tried to start a thread on anti corrosion products the other week.I really rate ACF but have also tried M1 for protection any other comments accepted! 

Yes porkers are very susceptible to poor quality fastners  

Thanks Toeside.

I have used Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 cavity wax as well as ACF50 on my 987. The spray can comes with an extension tube for hard to reach areas. I've stripped the doors and applied self adhesive sound proofing pads and treated the cavity with Dynax. The sound proofing makes a big difference and is well worth doing. A nice heavy clunk now when the doors close and all the rattles have gone. The main rattle was coming from the cross brace inside the door, I re-tightened the bolts and sprayed WD40. Sorted.

Archived