My thoughts on new exhaust and manifolds/hi-flow cats that I've fitted to my 987.1

Jon Jon

3 minutes ago, Mrker50 said:

Ordering a valved powerflow exhaust today.my xmas pressy.Going to get them to put a new air filter in at same time.Should i go with a original one.or a pipercross k&n type.I read somthing about the k&n being hard to fit due to shape.

What is a valved exhaust?

Ive looked at that one! It looks very good and not too expensive compared to many of them! You will have to post a sound clip so we can hear it as I may well grab one!

As for the filter K&N or Pipercross are very similar, I did find some dry filters which maybe more maf friendly but I can't remember the make!

5 minutes ago, Sedgy said:

Im in to minds over whether to keep my boxster next year, the wife is desperate for me to sell it come spring, but if i can hold her off i'll be adding topgear manifolds and 200cell cats.

Id have to sell the wife if it came to it...if i had one :)

Yea.i would like the manifold they do with cat built in like the starter of this post got.but they are out of stock.

And ive only ad car 5 week.

The exhaust is about knackered so i dont mind getting the new one.my initial warranty work is now done.gearbox seal.new fans and all front cooling pipes .glad that was warranty.

Carbon side covers here this week.

Then calipers painted 

Gert's GT exhaust is great.

On a 987.1 this effectively means a secondary cat delete (as well as some fiddling with the baffles inside) which really helps give a crisper sound.

It's not only cheap, but highly effective and tasteful to give it a more "uncorked" sound without being silly / ruining the every day usability.

I think on a 987.2 it may be better to think about the manifolds as I think there are a greater number / more restrictive cats in them.

I had the topgear 200 cell cats & actually the rest of their non-valved SS system fitted this summer and after some initial problems  

with fitting am very pleased with it.There is a tiny bit of drone right around 2200rpm with the roof up only but howls and overuns like a supercar when going up through the tacho?.What i also found was that the manifold bolts always snap and its only the genuine Porsche gaskets that don't blow.

Im seriously considering getting some topgear manifolds for my 987 2.7, i've spent that much on my exhaust already whats another £500+fitment and snapped studs?

Mines a daily so sound verus performance is important, mine has a good sound now but it just lacks some go, i think adding a BMC Air filter, de-snorkeling, & topgear cats would really open up the 2.7 driving experience and its gotta be worth 15 ish bhp with my secondary cat delete..

The manifolds won't give you 15bhp if my before and after dynos as a comparison are a guide. You need to do the larger throttle body mod too to take advantage kf the exhaust side work. 

Archived