Tyre mix

martyn

I will want to migrate over to N rated Goodyears from Bridgestone in the near future, my rears have about 3 to 4mm tread and the fronts about 6mm so obviously I will be changing the rears first, is it ok to put a pair of Goodyears on the rear, keeping the Bridgestones on the front, then changing the fronts over to Goodyears when worn down to 2 to 3mm?

In effect driving for a period with 2x axle pairs, Goodyears on the rear and Bridgestones on the front.

Thanks.

I don't see a problem with running different brands front to rear as long as you adjust your driving after changeover to take into account that the front to rear grip may change slightly and you need to adapt to this. Equally this is something you should do when putting a fresh set of the same tyres on one axle of a car as an old tyre with 2mm of tread will handle differently to a new tyre with 8mm of tread.

Nobbie Nailed it ( again! ) 

And I'm going to say once more, I've have Nexen rears and Bridgstone fronts for 8000 (Spirited - Ask Nobbie ;) ) miles with no detriment to handling that a reasonably capable pilot could detect. I make a habit of understanding my tyres and my brakes, regularly so I can make an informed decision on what driving style they will permit me to employ on any given trip. Think of it as a shake down lap before the "event" that tells you whats available on any given day. 

I'm pretty sure the approach I describe could be used if you had four matching N rated tyres or 4 different budget brands on each corner. Know you limits and drive within them seems like a kind of obvious mantra for anyone enjoying sporty type cars with enthusiasm. 

3 hours ago, That986 said:

Personally speaking i wouldn't mix brands on a performance car. 

I can also add that the Bridgestone are excellent having had them on my car for the last few months.

Winter or all season tyres? Do you notice any difference when the overnight temps drop on average to below 7 degrees Celsius.

For the last three Months I've been on some superb Winter Tyres. Prior to that, I was on some very usable rubber of mixed brand. Nexen Rear and Dunlop Fronts. Didn't give me any trouble, and I do give it the berries a little bit. :ph34r: 

Just now, Loz987 said:

Winter or all season tyres? Do you notice any difference when the overnight temps drop on average to below 7 degrees Celsius.

For the last three Months I've been on some superb Winter Tyres. Prior to that, I was on some very usable rubber of mixed brand. Nexen Rear and Dunlop Fronts. Didn't give me any trouble, and I do give it the berries a little bit. :ph34r: 

S02A tyres. And tbh yes there is a slight difference when the temps get really cold, say to around 3 deg or less, but the rest of the time they stick like shyate to a blanket, I can lean on them a hell of a lot more than i actually dare.

2 minutes ago, That986 said:

S02A tyres. And tbh yes there is a slight difference when the temps get really cold, say to around 3 deg or less, but the rest of the time they stick like shyate to a blanket, I can lean on them a hell of a lot more than i actually dare.

The perfect scenario, I believe. I'd always rather have a little in reserve ^_^

2 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

The perfect scenario, I believe. I'd always rather have a little in reserve ^_^

They are excellent, really impressed with them. Not noisy on long travels, stick like hell when you need but you can spin them if you want to get a bit "spirited" on take offs.

The one thing i did notice is pressure really does make a difference. When they fitted them they were over inflated by about 5 psi a corner, when i dropped them down to the recommended 29/36 front and rear it was like night and day. 

Also as a word of warning to the OP when you first get them fitted you will feel like you're on a skating rink. It's just how they are for the first few miles, hit the brakes hard a few times and spin the rears and you'll be golden.

Archived