Door speakers

peterzoom

I managed to get a couple of hours together today and replaced the door speakers on our newly acquired 987. Along with the need to have the wheels refurbished, done yesterday...very nice and shiny now!, the blown door speakers were needing immediate attention. The sound was so grim I did without listening to the stereo on my drive back from Essex to Glasgow.

I did a bit of research on the various options for door speakers but with the caution ever present in the back of my mind that we will be installing an all singing and dancing double DIN unit sometime in the near future. I saw a pair of 6.5" Vibe slick 2 way speakers for £21.00 on ebay and figured that, no matter what, they had to be 100% better than the blown, raggedy units that were in there.

Having just finished installing them I thought I would pass on my reaction.........WOW!!!!, Seriously if you have been debating with yourself what to do to improve your factory sound (NON BOSE, IN THIS INSTANCE) Get yourself some current tech speakers, take 90 minutes of your time and get those nasty paper units out and into the bin. I can`t remember ever spending so little on a car and getting such a great result.

Really well worth both the effort (really simple install) and the price.

I did same.and was like HELLO base.

Did find removing door card brutal though and there is no marking on wires for poss and neg.

But i found which poss/neg in the end by testing the old porsche speakers with the suck/blow method

Agreed, the standard speakers are pants and even more painful with a blown passenger speaker. Upgraded to some Alpines and transformed the sound. You will probably notice a bit of sound improvement over the standard DIN when you swap that out too.

On the topic of changing out the standard head unit. I paid a visit to my local car hi-fi store and after much listening to various demonstration rigs they had and also the advice from the staff. I might have revised my idea of changing the standard Porsche unit. The reason was a set of speakers from a French company called POLK AUDIO.

I had never heard of them, but they were quite simply amazing. Significantly more than the VIBES at £200 compared to £20 but I must say they were super impressive and really made a gorgeous sound when compared to Alpines, Focal, JL and Pioneer on the same unit.

I researched them when I got home and see that they were rated very highly in various awards last year. Here is an excerpt from one that gives a flavour of what they are all about............

For those “in the know”, Polk is a name that brings warm, fuzzy feelings along with the pleasantry of good audio. Polk delivers here again with their impressive Polk Audio MM6501 speakers. These highly rated speakers (and I do mean highly) are designed specifically for those that like to push their speakers to the edge and bring them back unscathed, all while using as little power as possible.

The MM6501 is a dream for under $300. The silk composite dome tweeter delivers a pleasant, almost comforting audio at the high end frequency. While not as rigid as the more expensive metal tweeters (such as aluminum or titanium), silk tweeters are well known for the silky-smooth sound reproduction that they provide at the higher frequencies. While some users complain about this design causing a pitchy noise in those frequencies, these are few and far between, coming down more to preference. The woofer sports a honeycomb woven glass fiber material that is built for strength, resistance and resonance absorption.

Polk designed the MM6501 to best their competition in both sound production and power consumption. These speakers operate at a frequency range of 40 to 25,000 Hz, allowing buyers to feel the music just as much as they hear it. While these speakers have what some may consider an unusually low impedance of 2.7 ohm, this means that these speakers will work with almost all factory and aftermarket stereos. Although you’ll be able to power these speakers without additional amplifiers, you will need to be cautious about adding additional speakers in the future.

The MM6501 utilizes power much more impressively than most of its competitors do, allowing for these speakers to not only operate with much less power, but to also operate utilizing more power if necessary. Polk designed these speakers to work at a power range of 25 to 125 watts, and with an extremely rare, and best-in-class peak power rating of 250 watts.

If you like your music loud, but don’t want to use up too much of your car’s power supply, these speakers will be exactly what you’re looking for. Polk is well known for the quality of their speakers, and these mid-range speakers are designed for continuous audio delivery for the more refined audiophiles.

Pros
  • Extremely efficient power usage.
  • Silk tweeter provides smooth high frequency sounds.
  • High sensitivity of 94 dB allows for less power for more volume.
Cons
  • Low impedance of 2.7 ohm could create issues for buyers with extra speakers.
  • 6.75 inch size may cause fitting issues for some buyers.text here

Polk have been about for years - great speakers and are also happy at lower resistance, ie would be a good upgrade for the Bose speakers too.

Personally I've never been a fan of Vibe - too much base and nothing else and a distinct lack of clarity.  Alpine are too much top end for my ears.

In my cars I've found Rockford Fosgate or Harman Kardon suit my ear best, although neither are a budget brand. 

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I replaced the door speakers with Alpine units at £50 a Pioneer App connect unit at £300 and a Kenwood powered rear sub fitted behind passenger seat, for £100

The sound is totally transformed for a small amount of outley

Hope this helps

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon

Sorry for late reply have had no time, I fitted a Kenwood , unit from Road radio, Fits perfectly behind passenger seat with no loss of room. Sound quality replicates having rear speakers for little cost. I am very pleased with the Pioneer  SPH -DA120 head unit and upgraded speakers, if you are not a DIY type I would employ some one to remove door cards as even being fairly gentle I still had to replace around 7 door clips.and use a lot of force. I am about to have a rear camera fitted and then that completes all my sound upgrades.

thumb_KSC_SW11.jpg
Our Price:
£102.99

Archived