Broken windscreen

Happy Days

As luck would have it, beloved got a small chip in the front screen the other day. Right in the driver's line of sight. Autoglass have just been out and advised that a repair won't do, they need to replace the screen. New unit ordered from Porsche. Bugger!

• 2 weeks later...

How did the replacement go? OE Porsche screen fitted?  I always watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't nick the paintwork under the screen getting the old PU adhesive off.  If they do, you need to make sure they paint over it so it doesn't start rusting under the screen.

9 minutes ago, mikefocke said:

Some 718s have just been recalled in the states for improper windshield bonding causing the windshield to pop out in an accident.  Yours may be better than new now!

Crikey, how does that happen? And how many have been crashed hard enough to cause the screen to fall out?

2 hours ago, topradio said:

Crikey, how does that happen? And how many have been crashed hard enough to cause the screen to fall out?

I can tell you that from bitter experience because I asked exactly how on earth my windscreen looked like a passenger had smashed his head into the screen, severely cracking it when I was wasn't carrying a passenger?

The service fella told me that when the passenger air bag deploys it's fires upward out of the dash then deflects off the screen towards the passenger and that always smashes the screen. He said that's why it's imperative that the correct screen bonding is used or the air bag will just blast the screen out and not get deflected to where it needs to be.

Archived