Steering Wheel swop

Graham W

Had my Boxster for about a year now and have done over 10K in it including a tour through Spain and Portugal and loving every minute of it.  The car was well spec'd when I picked it up (it's a PDK) apart from one little niggle, it has the standard steering wheel with the little buttons to change gear in manual mode.  Whilst not a big problem I'm wondering if anyone on here has swopped this out for a "flappy paddle" type wheel.  I know Porsche sell a replacement at £1,000+.  Is this worth it or has anyone gone down a different route?

The sport wheel with paddles works very well.

Is it worth the expense?   Only you can say, how long will you keep it?Can you sell one or the other when the time comes to recoup your investment? Does that price include drive in/out?

I've not heard of any other options for flappy paddles. 

It was one of the must haves for me. The paddles work well but mainly the wheel looks superb and the standard wheel looks rubbish  IMO, it makes a huge difference to the look of the interior. The new 718 standard wheels are much improved but still not as nice as the sport design wheel.

If your wheel is multifunction you will also have to have the additional stalk installed to control the right dash display.

I have the standard steering wheel with multi function buttons, I would have preferred the flappy paddles, but I certainly wouldn't pay to change it, ( I use the m/f buttons a lot whilst driving so I would miss out there as well). That's my opinion for what it's worth.

I've owned PDK cars with both and the paddle version is much better, on the other hand if yours also has the multi-function wheel the convenience of this shouldnt be ignored. I did think of swapping my wheel but when I looked into the costs and knowing that come resale it would add zero to the price I decided to live with the buttons..and then I got a manual car in its place!

Keith

2 hours ago, martyn said:

I have the standard steering wheel with multi function buttons, I would have preferred the flappy paddles, but I certainly wouldn't pay to change it, ( I use the m/f buttons a lot whilst driving so I would miss out there as well). That's my opinion for what it's worth.

I actually purposely wanted/searched for a car with the multi function buttons.  You have the best of both worlds, imho, as you have the buttons to flick like paddles, but you have the sound, phone and right screen controls too ... I'm more than happy personally.  Just my thoughts too ...

I can't deny the metal flappy paddle wheel looks more sporty but I do like the convenience of the multi function wheel and I don't have any issue with using the buttons - I tend to use the right hand one for changing up ? and the left hand one for changing down ?

Archived