Clutch judder + flywheel rattle?

Patrick Bateman

When pulling away from a standstill the judder happens, completely goes away with a few extra revs. Haven't noticed anything else wrong, pedal isn't heavy, clutch doesn't seem to slip.

I notice the rattle more when the car is cold while changing gear, I initially thought it may have been when operating the clutch but noticed it does it as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator.

Anyone else had similar symptoms? I'm already getting a major service, spark plugs and a few other things this month that will add up to a pretty penny so could do without needing to do a clutch and flywheel imminently. 

If you don't mind me asking how much does a job like that cost? As I may have similar thing starting. I've noticed when cold clutch in not very smooth.

On 15 May 2017 at 1:08 PM, Dom_500 said:

Yeah I had the same so changed the clutch and flywheel and it cured it.

Ditto and ditto from Dom_500.  My advice (for what it's worth) - get it swapped out now.  Lucky for me, I was only a few miles from my local Indy when my clutch (with similar symptoms) finally died - the week before the Box and me were in Germany.  Indy charge was about 1200 notes, I think, but I did get them to swap out everything that could be a future problem while they were in there.

Hi Patrick, I have noticed 987 models have a vibration from dual mass, at about 1200-1500, when reving in neutral, which is start of dual mass failure.

I have had 2 that jammed and you couldn't see the inside mirror with the vibration.I have also heard that if this is left then it can snap the crankshaft, with the frequency of the vibration.

Chris

My 986 juddered.  Revolution replaced the IMS bearing, clutch and flywheel and it still judders.  

I haven't tried replacing the engine and gearbox mounts though.

On mine engine mount made more difference than gearbox mounts. It was completely split in the rubber all round. 

I had a slight slip when in 5th but apart from that it was ok. cost was roughly £1k but I had the RMS/IMS done at the same time. I had mine done at Cotswold and they quote on their website £650 clutch only so my estimate is about right including flywheel.

4 hours ago, cd911993 said:

Hi Patrick, I have noticed 987 models have a vibration from dual mass, at about 1200-1500, when reving in neutral, which is start of dual mass failure.

I have had 2 that jammed and you couldn't see the inside mirror with the vibration.I have also heard that if this is left then it can snap the crankshaft, with the frequency of the vibration.

Chris

Sounds rather severe but I don't think I have that sort of vibration, only when bring the clutch pedal back up when moving off although a few extra revs completely mitigate it.

Archived