Project Boxster 987 R

CliveH

13 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Another suggestion Clive,  how about a black surround around the windscreen like what comes on an RS60 Spyder.  Here is a photo as it's hard to explain what I mean.

RS 60 Black around windscreen

Thanks fot that. I'd forgotten to mention that I do have a set of black headlamp surrounds (vinyl) to go on which is another Cayman R feature and will compliment the black mirors and Boxster badge. I'll consider the windscreen surround too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edc said:

£5.5k will barely buy the parts for a rebuild with capacity increase. If you just drop in a 997.1 3.8 then you've also just upped your bore scoring risk. 

Fair point, which I've considered. Only time will tell where the engine part of this project goes...

Around 18 months ago talking to Dom Delaney about his Cayman SV, he reckoned you could get 340+hp from a 3.4.  I don't recall a lot more than exhaust and TB, plenum, intake, LWFW and maybe remap.  He was also adamant that his SV was more focussed than the customer GT4 that was also sitting in his workshop.  He had gone further in stripping out, LW bits than most would be prepared to do, but key elements were the LSD and custom set up KWs.

A "normal" Hartech rebuild costs you circa £8k, yes?  Once you up capacity, add cams etc, I think you are well over £10k.  IIRC the rumoured cost of the Autofarm 3.7 was over £15k.
#realitycheck

I would not trust a word Dom Delaney says, my old man bought a car off him.

He's a con artist always going bust and setting up under a different name. He may know a fair bit about Porsche s but he's full of shyate and not to be trusted ?

Edited by Lonewolfgjp

I haven't taken much interest in Dom Delaney but it does wen like his SVP business went into administration a year or 2 back. But he seems to be back in business with another similarly named business. 

Anyway back on track kind of Jens Ehresman seems to quite regularly get 365bhp ish from the 3.4 in 987.2 and 981. 

31 minutes ago, Joolzb said:

Here you go, shows headlight, windscreen surround and mirror casing.

3F26781E-AFEE-4260-8B6C-8DFC92F0D7D0.jpeg

2 hours ago, 911-32 said:

Around 18 months ago talking to Dom Delaney about his Cayman SV, he reckoned you could get 340+hp from a 3.4.  I don't recall a lot more than exhaust and TB, plenum, intake, LWFW and maybe remap.  He was also adamant that his SV was more focussed than the customer GT4 that was also sitting in his workshop.  He had gone further in stripping out, LW bits than most would be prepared to do, but key elements were the LSD and custom set up KWs.

A "normal" Hartech rebuild costs you circa £8k, yes?  Once you up capacity, add cams etc, I think you are well over £10k.  IIRC the rumoured cost of the Autofarm 3.7 was over £15k.
#realitycheck

A Reality Check indeed!!! - that’s big money for not many ponies IMO! Forced Induction sounds like the only feasible option to push past the 350bhp ceiling. The TPC kit is something like $7,000 direct and it’s a bolt on affair + software / or fitted by Parr £10k. TPC, Big Brakes, LSD and LWFW and you would have an awesome machine an would probably get your money back if you sold it.

My car had a £6k rebuild before I purchased it and looking at the invoice... The Westwood liners, piston set, engineering etc. came to about £1500 of the £6k. I’m sure the next bore size up wouldn’t have cost that much more - pity as I’d have paid the extra. 

Do a search for the TPC kit. Parr published a couple of articles when they first did them. There is a silver 3.2 Boxster and an orange Cayman. You will not get your money back. As usual with mods you just won't get the money back when you sell. 

10 hours ago, edc said:

Do a search for the TPC kit. Parr published a couple of articles when they first did them. There is a silver 3.2 Boxster and an orange Cayman. You will not get your money back. As usual with mods you just won't get the money back when you sell. 

I’ve been looking into 987 forced induction almost before I bought the car, I really fancy the kit if I’m honest as my brother is a mechanic and my dad an engineer - plus we have access to a workshop and lift. (Already thinking of taking a week off work Summer 2020 to get this done lol).

That would certainly be the most cost effective route and give me enough runway to modify the current setup to handle adding 100-160bhp - most important will be a big big brake upgrade. I bought the 987 to modify as a long term project, a second car toy really as the chance of having R/GT3/4 or turbo cash to spend any time within the next few years will be slim.

This years goal on the mechanical side will be to modify my the air intake and exhaust with a remap, hopefully getting closer to the 350bhp EVONS/Sharkweks seems to achieve - also knowing that TPC kit has a new exhaust (so I won’t spend big on that - maybe 3.2 headers).

The beauty of the 987 platform is that you can build in stages, pity about the Porsche Tax as it’s really noticeable coming from the Audi/VW modding world.

BTW guys, I am not making any comment about Dom or SVP.  I am fully aware of the bankruptcy and know folks who were out of pocket as a result.  Personally, I had a car for sale with Dom at the time, which was why I had been up at SVP, otherwise no prior relationship.  I am certainly not standing up for him.  What is public and verifiable pretty much speaks for itself.

Keeping it objective, he did know a thing or two about prepping 987s and the SV car got very good magazine reviews.  My point was really that you can get a pretty sensible amount of power without a transplant and when combined with weight loss, you have a pretty capable package for a sensible amount of money.

58 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Joolzb how did you get that black headlight surround? A few of us here bought some stick-on ones from the US, but not sure anyone was really happy with the final result. Is it just that, or is it painted...?

I cut them from Vinyl - I was a graphic designer is a past life so am fairly handy with a scalpel. I may fit some carbon versions next year as I like the look they give the car but didn't fancy a £100 risk. For £2's worth of Vinyl and a few hours cleaning, cutting and fitting them I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The vinyl I used was fairly good quality and like anything regarding vinyl if you use the cheap stuff and it's not fitted well it looks naff. I took the headlights fully out, give them a really good clean and polish first - I've probably got a before and after photo somewhere (will dig it out).

For those who are interested in the black headlight eyeliner, here is a before and after video and also a direct comparison with what I was shooting for, from the Cayman R. I'd like to break the lamps open ideally and paint them black, (think LordLee did it and it looked great). 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fF5rvWj0hLIl7l7D2
https://youtu.be/dfHusYB1KSo

• 4 weeks later...

This is a exciting project to have read through. In honesty I didn't really pay much notice to this tread previously because you mentioned it over breakfast and probably told us more of your thoughts and idea's than jotted down in the thread so far. I think this is great and what more car can you really achieve once you've put this baby where you want it. 

In terms of 987's this car I rate highly. Any updates for us? 

Edited by 986CKY
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments and encouragement Luke.

The biggest update is that the project is currently on hold pending my first world problems dilemma ??

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sadly (but there is a silver lining), this is the final update to this thread.

I didn't complete the project because I stumbled across the fact that I could find most of the Spyder goodies in a 987.2 Black Edition, and minus the cumbersome roof and plus some home comforts such as aircon and PCM. So that's the way I've gone.

As a result, I now have some Spyder and related goodies for sale.

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, CliveH said:

‘allo ‘allo ‘allo, what’s going on in ‘ere after all this time...?

👋 CliveClive

13 hours ago, CliveH said:

The grey sport edition was a fine car.

This project R has lived on in the Black Edition so maybe I should resurrect it?

Yeshhhh!!

OK, so it seems it's time to resurrect this thread. Same idea, different car which already has some of the Spyder stuff (like power hike, steering wheel, and exhaust tips).

So the base car is a 987.2 Black Edition with all the enhancements that come with that as standard. The following is the current status and plan in terms of modifications:

Performance

Carnewal Cayman R GT exhaust

Carnewal sports headers with 200 cell cats

Both been fitted for some 18 months and give the car an intoxicating sound! :rocks:

ITG foam filter - fitted but no idea what difference it makes, if any

GT3 82mm throttle body - on the parts shelf

IPD "competition" plenum - soon to be on the parts shelf

Remap - we'll see how well the ECU adapts to the ultimate combination of the above before going down this road

Aesthetics

Spyder lightweight 10 spoke wheels - they are actually the same as the Black Edition wheels but the ones currently on are smokey silver

Spyder side vents

Spyder front splitter

Spyder suspension

Ducktail rear spoiler - this will be the only visible non-OEM part which is in the style of the 987.1 sport edition - looks good in the photos but not fitted yet so we'll have to see.

Red seat belts - already fitted and probably add about 5hp :D

The Black Edition has the Spyder/Cayman R sports design steering wheel

Although it doesn't have the Spyder/R lightweight bucket seats, it does have the sports seats which are supportive, super comfy, and heated, so I'm happy with those.

As I've said in the first incarnation of this project, I am not chasing numbers but expect the end result to be north of 330PS. The Black Edition has the same 320PS Spyder engine and the larger diameter Cayman R exhaust setup is apparently what gives the Cayman R its extra 10PS so with the freer flowing headers and intake, this may reach 340.

I'll see what photos I have of her in the current state and will add to these when complete.

Edited by CliveH