New car waiting times

hotshotkevlar68

Hi people I put a new topic a few days ago about buying a new 718 boxster and I've read a few things that people have said about waiting times. One person quoted that the waiting time was 10 months then someone else said it was 4 months. Has anyone got any I formation regarding this

I think that it's a bit of a moving feast. The official line seems to be about 8 to 10 months but some have reported shorter deliveries. When I bought my 981 they were talking 4 months but it actually took just 2, I think because the dealer had a build slot to fill.

The feeling is that Porsche are 'engineering' a wait in order to bump up the 'unattainable & exclusive tag' and also to justify not discounting any more, 'sorry sir there's a 10 month wait for this car - we can sell all we get'  

And just get your order in, you don't have to know exactly what you want, you can spend months deciding and looking at and test driving cars and then finalise you specification nearer the time.

Just do it, you're only 50 once.

33 minutes ago, hotshotkevlar68 said:

My car would be a 50 birthday present to myself. Which is in may next year so this could become a bit of a  problem 

I think you'll be fine, apparently the long wait was due to production shifting to a different factory, and now its done they are producing more 718 models than they were previously.  

interestingly there is a 718 gts thread over on pistonheads where a few customers have been told they can get February deliveries…… and that not even been launched yet.

If you order on now I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of an xmas present than birthday :-)

22 hours ago, topradio said:

I think that it's a bit of a moving feast. The official line seems to be about 8 to 10 months but some have reported shorter deliveries. When I bought my 981 they were talking 4 months but it actually took just 2, I think because the dealer had a build slot to fill.

The feeling is that Porsche are 'engineering' a wait in order to bump up the 'unattainable & exclusive tag' and also to justify not discounting any more, 'sorry sir there's a 10 month wait for this car - we can sell all we get'  

I agree with this view, I don't believe that strong demand is there for the 718 and Porsche are responding accordingly by cutting production levels. However conversely, the showrooms are full of them and dealers are using them as courtesy cars!

Interesting to see on a recent factory visit, that virtually the entire production line consisted of 911's...l

Also, I saw numerous 981 Boxsters on the road in Europe, but just one 718. I know it's not been out as long, but people usually want the latest version don't they?

Maybe not in this case...

I can imagine the replies - and you are correct, nothing would persuade me to buy a 4 cylinder Porsche sports car of any description.

I am not knocking those that do, but it's just not for me. It seems that I am not alone in this opinion perhaps.

You guys just really need to shop around and never presume waiting times are the same across all dealers.

for example my local dealer quoted 12-18months for my Macan.  A £7 rail fare to the Midlands resulted in a factory order to my spec within 3 months.

seek and yee shall find!

S

Archived