Warm and cozy?

bigfoot57

Looking for a 981 at the moment and, of course, have a specific colour in mind (yellow) which limits the choice. I have seen a nice one, but no heated seats. Bearing in mind anticipated winter use - we like the convertible even better then - I wondered whether anyone had any experience of retrofitting heated seats and/or steering wheel?

Was the heated wheel even an option on the 981, if so it was certainly not a popular one. I know the sport design wheel doesn't have a heated option and I would much rather have the sport design non heated rather than a heated different wheel. I haven't seen any retrofitted 718/991.2 wheels on the 981 so not sure if it's possible. 

For the seats I would expect you will need to change the seats so a retrofit will be disproportionately expensive, it is a pretty popular option in the UK though. I would not let this stop me buying the otherwise right car though, I've not used my heated seats  in 15 months ownership.

I looked into the seats and it really is a no go if you want it doing properly (plenty of bodges out there)

To be honest having run it for a whole winter you don't really need them. You will probably be out with the roof down in neg zero temps a dozen times

Spend the money on a decent jacket instead, it will be money better spent and give you the same warm and fuzzy feeling :)

I'm lucky enough to work for an Outdoor Clothing Company so have access to lots of lovely jackets https://rab.equipment/uk/ Feel free to PM me for suggestions/recomendations

If you want to purchase my 981 currently for sale on this site only at present then I will chuck in £500 worth of insulated jackets gloves and hats for free! ;) 

1 hour ago, bigfoot57 said:

Looking for a 981 at the moment and, of course, have a specific colour in mind (yellow) which limits the choice. I have seen a nice one, but no heated seats. Bearing in mind anticipated winter use - we like the convertible even better then - I wondered whether anyone had any experience of retrofitting heated seats and/or steering wheel?

There's an immaculate yellow 981S with heated seats (18 way Adaptive sports seats) on the 'For Sale/Selling Advice' section below which might suit. Actually mine but have a look.

Alex

Retrofitting 987 heated seats was apparently very difficult/expensive (blah blah relay blah switch blah; Chinese to me), I'd guess the 981 more so but might be wrong. If outside the dealer network, you will create warranty issues, and most are wary of that on a car worth 35k or more.

Good luck with the yellow (hope Nimmo helps), that's REALLY limiting your choice!

Thanks for the replies guys, and for the free jackets Leonard (wrong colour car though ;)) . Nimmo - your pictures say it all about why I am sticking out to find a nice yellow one, and yours looks great. Sadly a bit strong meat for me moneywise and I only need a 2.7 for life after our 911. Good luck if/when you do decide to sell it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 10:34 PM, mneil said:

Saw a yellow 981 Saturday whilst driving through Annecy, looked stunning. Stick to your guns?.

I was driving past the lake same day ( if you mean last sat ) on the way back from courchevel and noticed 3 yellow porkers which was pretty impressive 

1 minute ago, Paulo123 said:

Use it as a bargaining tool as no heated seats is rare, however in a car like this you never end up using them .... well you do sometimes as they are there..... but I wouldn't miss them at all. 

but SWMBO would!

Archived