986s air filter replacement

Konrad

Hi guys,

I own 986S 3.2l 2003 Porsche Boxster. I am going to fit new air filter and thought you might help me. I googled and found a lot of air filters compatible with this car and I am just wondering which one has the best quality (price doesn't matter)?

The only way to determine "which is best" would be if the suppliers/manufacturers stipulated the following:

-Percentage of penetration (at MPPS = maximum penetrating particle size)

-know static pressure drop and differential (resistance the filter causes to the engine) when clean, and then also what it's rated dirty pressure is. The lower the clean figure, the less strain it puts on the engine, the lower the dirty figure, the sooner it has to be replaced. 

-You can also buy washable/serviceable filters like K&N for example. They're known to have a lower pressure resistance, but have a much lower efficiency for filtering dirt/particulate. 

-I wouldn't buy a filter on brand name alone, but a brands experience and market position (I.e not super budget). Cost isn't your concern it seems, so certainly buy on tech-specs or recommendation. 

If anyone is ever interested, I can independently aerosol challenge test any paper air filter down to about 0.2 micron to give a penetration.

For cars, the efficiency is somewhere usually between 93-99.X %.....  But it's likely they were type tested/validated by dust depth load testing (weight per inch) not particulate aerosol penetration (which is more so used for pharmaceutical areas, clean rooms and operating theatre filtration).

I've read two tests long ago of air filters using specific air pressure amounts and varying particle sizes. Both done by magazines, one a consumer products rating mag and one an auto mag. I used the stock Porsche branded filter as it was changed infrequently enough that it didn't much matter the cost to me. I stayed away from the oiled K&N type as they tested less effective as air filters which is what I was buying them for. YMMV.

4 hours ago, Konrad said:

Hi again, thanks for your suggestions guys! I did a research and eventually decided to order http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod303/BMC-Air-Filter-for-Porsche-Boxster/

It seems like it has the best quality and just slightly higher price than K&N. Anyone used it before? What do you think?

Im on the verge of buying a K&N but I'm wary of the filtration being on in the mid 80s, please let us know how you find the BMC after fitting it?

You're not the first to fit a new air filter of course. A few have done the replacement panel filter with K&N and BMC. You may get a bit of extra induction noise but there is no real performance improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, Konrad said:

ok will do

How did you get on Konrad?

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, edc said:

You're not the first to fit a new air filter of course. A few have done the replacement panel filter with K&N and BMC. You may get a bit of extra induction noise but there is no real performance improvement.

I think that's generally well understood these days, it'd be a naïve and slightly thick individual who'd fit a new panel filter or any kind and expect any noticeable performance gain :) What you can expect is slightly smoother acceleration and as you say more noise.

Having done it, i wouldn't even expect smoother acceleration, not that the acceleration wasn't smooth in the first place.

Archived