987 Battery

Patrick Bateman

I have a feeling the OEM ah rating depends on the spec, but Tanya gives a range from 80-90ah, so not a lot in it, in practise. I just went with the cheapest one as the longer warranty on the expensive ones is usually worthless as, you've either lost the receipt, have to send it back to them for a report, or they say it's due to misuse. I had an S4 degrade and looked into the warranty terms, but it was such a PITA that I just bought a new one myself.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/110-Car-Batteries-G33.html

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Battery is dead so looking at a Bosch S3/4/5 but curious as to what would be best without going excessive.

Any idea what the OEM battery ah rating is?

Bosche S4 is what went in my old 986

Not a clue what happened this morning but opened the car physically with the key tonight and nothing was wrong. Didn't want to do that this morning (5.15am) and risk the alarm going off.

I tried both keys this morning as well and neither would open the car or boots. Very odd.

2 hours ago, R1951 said:

Ps OPC quoted £463!

Don't forget the free coffee and biscuits you get as part of the deal?

How much was the Halfords one? Wouldn't have considered them, but does make warranty returns easier with a physical shop.

Halfords batteries used to be quite good value at one time, but they seem very expensive now.

Their standard type 110 is £125 and is rated @ 75 amp hours, with 680 cold cranking amps, though I think this might be a typo.

Smaller 096 with the same spec for £16 less with an extra years warranty.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords-calcium-battery-hcb096-4-yr-guarantee

Still pricey though when you can buy the battery I linked to above which is 74 amp hours with 750 CCA and a 5 year warranty for just £55 delivered (same spec as Bosch S5 type 100) which would cost around £90.

People are slowly catching on.  Halfords is not cheap.  They spent 10 years being good value and telling everyone.  Now we are all convinced of that their prices have rocketed.  You can get brakes , tyres servicing etc. Done at a main dealer for the same price or less with a courtesy car, nice lounge , car valet and decent coffee.  

Picked up a replacement battery for mine recently - Bosch S4 from Costco, was about £80 if I remember correctly. Much, much better than the crappy Moll Porsche battery that was in it before.

Archived