Which Oil for a 987 3.2S?

Costelles

i think its impossible to prove any one oil is better than another so any a40 spec oil will do.

a 5w40 seems best for the uk climate as 0w is really not needed.

personally i use shell helix ultra 5w40.its half the price of mobil 1 and i doubt theres any downside to using it.

I'm running Mobil 1 5w 50 in mine, on recommendation from the OPC. Think its called Peak Life or something.... OPC reckons much better for engines that have 50k + on them (mine has 70k ish).

Apparently they only use the 0w 40 on the newer cars, service tech guys call it 'cooking fat'.

Eurocarparts have 5w 40 Petronas oil 9which is to Porsche Spec, says so on the back of the tub) at the moment at (I think I paid)  £17 for 4 liters, discount code id crazy75 but expires tonight.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Porsche_Boxster_3.2_2006/p/car-parts/engine-parts/engine-parts1/engine-oils/?521772471&1&9e24499a3fba4b90ab9254dc4e119c46677a1a63&000398

I bought it for top ups but will probably do more research to see what will give my engine the best possible protection when I have her serviced soon.

Do any of you guys use friction eliminator of any description in your Porsches or is that a waste of money?

On 27/09/2017 at 7:01 PM, banjo1 said:

a 5w40 seems best for the uk climate as 0w is really not needed.

Anyone want to give me a three line explanation about grades? I have seen the above comment several times over the years, but wonder a) what's the reason for the  difference between 0w 40 in ?Germany and 5w40 in ?the UK, and therefore b ) what should I be considering in Portugal?

One line - 0W40 is thinner. 

Google will give you more info than you can digest if you are really interested.  When people say we don't need a 0W40 in the UK, I think they are really saying that it doesn't get all that cold.  A 5W40 is still a pretty thin oil for cold start protection.

IMHO, if I was looking for a better oil, I would look at the base stocks and pick a fully synthetic triple ester oil.  That plus a heavier weight (Hartech recommend a 10W50 as some protection from bore scoring), would give the best protection.  I would spend the extra on something like a Silkolene Pro-Race or Millers Nanotech (no affiliation) and change it every year. $0.02

Archived