Calliper Torque Settings

Graham W

Just about to replace my front discs and pads and I'm wondering what I should torque the calliper bolts to? Also any idea how long it should take to do both sides?

Thanks in advance.

If all fixings ondo without problems and you have new hardware to hand e.g. caliper bolts, disc to hub screws and a fitting kit (the latter mainly for the 'R' clips), 2 hours tops. If, on the other hand, a caliper bolt shears or a disc screw rounds off, your guess is as good as mine...

Are you fitting new anti-rattle plates? I used my old ones, didn't glue them to the pads and they seem fine.

17 minutes ago, mneil said:

Just out of interest, anyone know what torque setting for the wheel nuts. Thinking I might take them off and give them a good clean. 

5 minutes ago, chrishak said:

130 nm or 96 ft lb

My OCD is well and truly initiated now!

Thread title says "Calliper Torque Settings" and now you are talking about wheel bolt torque :busted::lol:

31 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Sorry, but the 981 wheel bolt torque is 160Nm.  It actually changed from 130Nm from MY2012 (including later 987 Gen 2 cars).  Also notice the new instruction about not greasing the bolts.

981WheelBolt.jpg

Ah yes I was only aware of 987 values and selfishly and without any further thought stated that value.  Useful to highlight the difference moving to 981...

Thanks Richard  

Thanks for your help.  I did the job over the weekend with only one niggle.  As I undid one of the caliper bolts it also removed part of the thread and so had to retap the caliper but apart from that all's well.  The attached photo shows why I was experiencing brake judder whilst driving through the Alps last month.  As you can imagine the pads were in a poor state!

GDNP6981.JPG

As you can see from the pictures the discs were pretty badly pitted and corroded and I therefore suspect the bolts had suffered a similar fate.  I put this down to the previous owners usage of the car as I picked it up as a 4  year old, 1 owner car with just 12K on the clock supplied by a Scottish OPC and so I guess it sat around for a lot of its life in a cold and possibly damp garage with brief runs out on fine days?  Only one of the bolts actually stripped the thread but all had to be gently coaxed out and replaced with new bolts.

Archived