Fob not working the doors

Nytram

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

I have a 2000 Boxster. Recently the remote fob has stopped locking and unlocking the doors (2 fobs and 2 new batteries)
BUT
when I use the fob to pop the trunk, it works and the doors unlock with the trunk as it should do normally

I cannot find the answer anywhere.

thanks in advance

I had this. If you have not touched your car for 5 days, the car will switch off the central locking and alarm (I think) to save the battery. You have to put the key into the drivers door lock and undo the lock manually. Once you have done this you can, then push the large remote button and it all starts working again.

Hope this helps

cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony.

It is not this, I have reset with the key several times and still not working.

The fact the trunk/boot pops with the remote (and unlocks the doors as it should) makes it more confusing

regards

martyn

Sounds to me like the main microswitch on the remote fob has failed, but the other two are ok for now. They are known for this.

They either have dry solder joints or start to disintegrate.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can either re-solder the joints or replace the failing microswitch, with one of similar size/specification (available on ebay), if not, you'll need to get a new fob (circuitboard), which are pretty expensive.

If you can get the forum search to work properly there are many, many threads on this subject.

I had a similar issue with my one of my 986 keys and sent it to Keyfob repair in London who sorted it out for £35-00. Top job replaced all the microswitches and everything works as it should, price includes a new case as well. I see you are in London as well they are in Palmers Green N14. I believe they work Saturday morning, so you could call in, It's a lot cheaper than a trip to your local OPC! give them a call, very helpfull. They also sorted out a friends Renault key as well.

See https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/by-brand-porsche

Thought I'd try repairing both of my 3-button keys with kits off eBay. Almost a complete waste of money. The eBay jobby switch cover is all one piece and the keys themselves are so stuff the buttons won't operate. If keyfobrepair.co.uk are charging £35 to refurbish a single key using one of these crappy kits, they're avin a larf.

Photo shows original top, replacement bottom. You can't really see from this but the actual buttons on the original are made from a different plastic from the rest of the case. The replacements don't come with an o-ring either.

26155396649_5e85b653a8_z.jpg

The kits come with a spare blank blade, a new battery, three new surface mount PCB switches (you'd need very good eyesight and a steady hand to swap these yourself) and the little Porsche shield. Before I throw mine in the bin, does anyone one want one (or both) for the cost of postage?

Don't understand why you are suggesting Keyfob repair are using sub standard parts that you had the misfortune to buy on EBay? 

All I know is that I sent my key to Keyfob repair, they replaced the 3 microswitches, new battery, new case, and it all works fine! So what is not to like for £35 inc return secure postage? 

I should like to point out that I have NO connection with Keyfob repair, they carried out what I thought was an excellent service @ a fair price, and I thought that this service would be of interest to fellow forum members! However it appears I was incorrect!

Archived