2.7 front brake parts required

Patrick Bateman

If this is your first time fitting brakes, I would go full Monty....

Discs, pads, dampers, fitting kit, bolts, sensor cables. Anything you don't use can be carried forward. Nothing worse than not being able to reassemble the brakes as you have skimped on the cheap ancillaries.

No need to but half the gumph, pads & sensors only. I found the right side pagid sensor was too short so two left hand would probably be better....

Slacken off wheel bolts

Raise car & put on axle stands

Remove wheel

Open brake fluid reservoir, put some tissue around the outside of the refilling nozzle in case it spills

Disconnect the wear sensor but unlatching the metal clip & removing the connector.

Remove the circlip from the brake pad retaining pin

Tap out the retaining pin with a small flat punch (or screwdriver but that heightens the risk of it mushrooming)

Unhook the sensor from the metal backing plate where the retaining pin sat across.

(I use a door trim removal tool) - slide something fairly firm and fat between the rear of the pad and the backing plate and prise them apart

Do this for the other side and remove both pads / wear sensors

Push the backing plate & pistons back into the caliper fully, replace pads & reverse the above.

If you take care splitting the pad from the prison/backing plate you'll not need to buy new ones and the pins last ages in these if you knock them through with something with a flat face.

I did my 987.1 recently.  I replaced pads, dampeners and wires.  One dampener per pad, so two per corner.  One wire per corner and they are different lengths.  I bought Textar pads, they were quite expensive but the wheels stay clean much longer, they stop well and no squealing.  Definitely worth doing the dampeners.  Also worth bleeding the whole system while you are at it.  I bought a Seeley pressure bleeder on ebay for £40 and it makes it an easy job.  I also bought a caliper spreader - worth having for very little cost.  Dont forget to lower the level of fluid in the reservoir before winding the calipers back so it doesn't overflow.

I am only an occasional DIY'er and no expert but overall this is quite an easy job.  Getting the old dampeners off can be tricky as they are glued in place and easily damaged when removing.

Good luck.

You only need new sensors if they old ones are gone, and thus the light is on the dash.

When I last changed my discs and pads, that was all I replaced (and a complete flush of fluid because it was due)

She still stops in a heart beat almost 3 years on - so much cheaper since not using the OEM discs !

Archived