Centre console refurb

jnwright71

If you’ve read my sticky climate switches thread, you probably realise that I am a little OCD.  

My 2005 Boxster (new to me) is in generally very good condition, but the centre console around the handbrake and especially just in front of the storage compartment lid was a mess - but not any more :).

I rubbed down the painted plastic and used a leather filler to sort out the little chips.  I then used the leather dye I bought to touch in my seat to recoat the plastic and finished it with a few coats of Matt leather seal.  As the leather dye and seal are water based polyurethanes, they bond well to plastics. 

I bought my dye from Leather Labs - Dynamix whose products I have always found to be a perfect match.  The real benefit with a Porsche is that the plastic colours match the leather.

Another tip I got from the US Porsche forums is to take your ashtray into B&Q and get them to scan the colour and make up a tester pot of Matt emulsion.  I have also done this and touched in scratches and chips around my light switch bezel.  The touch in is virtually invisible and for £4 an absolute bargain.  

Before and after shots below (after shot is a bit grainy).

before.jpg.5f1436a6bbe6d6bd08047fb1e33623a1.jpg

after.jpg.919daf3ceee1d66717e2399b391dfeb9.jpg

Enjoy ...    

29 minutes ago, jnwright71 said:

Hi Saxosim,

The finish is stone grey, just rubbish pictures :D.

Overall very happy with the improvement.

Cheers, James

Ah sorry about that James looks great though I will bookmark this one for when I get mine as most I have seen seem to have the similar issues of wear in the same places

Cheers ?

Hi guys,

The dye is applied by sponge (usually comes with the dye.  It takes a bit of getting used to, but light thin coats work best.

Craig0-craigy, I know the B&Q thing sounds mad, but it really works.  I was very sceptical, but amazed by the results.

Enjoy ....:D

2 hours ago, craigo-craigy said:

Great tip...... Take ash tray into b and q.  Scan the colour    :D

Patches of dark grey and black, flecks of brown, occasional white strip - damn, should have emptied it first...

Archived