Spark plug sockets? are they a service replacement item?

Sonic909

Hello,

I'm just buying all the bits to do a service - getting plugs and considering doing the coil packs (Do they come with the tubes?).

Do i need to replace the spark plug sockets? 

These; http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21472/Porsche-996-Spark-Plug-Socket-99660210301/ (not sure if linking is allowed sorry?)

And i see spark plug tube seals on there? do you reuse or replace? there are two sizes how can i identify which i need?

Car is 99/986 2.5 @ 103k 

Many thanks,

Coil packs will come complete with the 'socket'.   There are plastic tube liners inside the spark plug tube that should be replaced if they are worn or leaking.  They have top and bottom rubber seals 'o rings' of differing sizes.  If you have no idea when they were last replaced I'd change them all personally only a few quid. You can buy these as a set.  Getting them out intact can be a bit fiddly if they are old they can break up. 

I'd back up the bit about it being hard getting them out in one piece. I made up a tool to help, but in the end just used brute force and broke them. About £30-35 for a new set with seals.

Archived