718 Spyder

Leonard

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

No comments on this yet!?

I want it badly!!!! :)

May put my name down if I can but guess you probably have to be a £250k a year Porsche customer :(

Ah yes we were talking about this recently... but that was in the 718 GT4 thread... ?

Just now, Leonard said:

Ahhh missed that one, ta. Surely everyone here would prefer the Boxster tho! ;)

I would dearly love a 718 Spyder to be sure - and if it’s anything like the 981 Spyder ... an investment too ?

Is this really true yet? I get the impression that journalist has either been reading BoXa or has just put 2+2 and come up with 4 like we did, but no actual news from Porsche.

Other than a bigger engine, how is this better than the 981 Spyder? The lightweight thing was started by the 987.2, there was a major body change with the 981, but lets face it this is just a 981.2, no? Or have I missed anything?

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Is this really true yet? I get the impression that journalist has either been reading BoXa or has just put 2+2 and come up with 4 like we did, but no actual news from Porsche.

Other than a bigger engine, how is this better than the 981 Spyder? The lightweight thing was started by the 987.2, there was a major body change with the 981, but lets face it this is just a 981.2, no? Or have I missed anything?

It’s all just speculation at the moment it would appear... so is it better than a 981 Spyder? - who knows until it ‘exists’!

From what I have read, and heard from Porsche when the 718 was originally launched, a flat 6 won't fit in the engine bay. The GTS is also a four. I really believe that 7s will be 4-pots while 9s will be 6s. If that makes any sense.

4 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

From what I have read, and heard from Porsche when the 718 was originally launched, a flat 6 won't fit in the engine bay.

I don't think that's completely true. As I remember, a flat 6 turbo won't fit in the engine bay. And they need to sell a lot of turbos/four-pots to get the average emissions down. So now we see the decision to sell the majority as 4Ts but (hallelujah?) still a 6 as the halo model.

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't think that's completely true. As I remember, a flat 6 turbo won't fit in the engine bay. And they need to sell a lot of turbos/four-pots to get the average emissions down. So now we see the decision to sell the majority as 4Ts but (hallelujah?) still a 6 as the halo model.

Indeed, the 718 engine bay is about the same as the 981 and we know a flat 6 does fit, and given the GT3 has a NA engine we might expect one in a new GT4 (which is what all the rumours suggest, the GTS was never going to be NA). 

IF you could get hold of one it would likely be a great investment but along with all the GT /RS ranges value would be very mileage sensitive and be a disincentive to driving the darn thing, so not for me (even if I could afford and get hold of one)

Even a detuned version of the 4.0 litre GT3 engine is a big step up from the 981 Spyder/GT4 which sported the 3.8 Carerra S engine of the day.

We all know how a mid-engine car performs compared to one with the engine hanging out the back.

If the rumours are true, then this is going to be a serious piece of kit with Porsche 'competing' head on with some of their 911 range.

11 minutes ago, CliveH said:

If the rumours are true, then this is going to be a serious piece of kit with Porsche 'competing' head on with some of their 911 range.

Which they'll avoid. Either they'll knock a huge amount of bhp off the engine, or they'll ramp the price up to the appropriate bracket. Sadly I suspect the former. Recall some comments on PH (I think) about what to spend 100k on, and someone said a Boxster Spyder - replies were often "It's just a Boxster FFS".

The marketing dept would need to sell it more as a detuned Carerra GT, but they ain't going to.

Archived