718 S Residuals/Opportunity for me to buy one

Dnomore

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a fully loaded 2017 model 718 S that would have been £72k in July at £56k now.

You guys will undoubtedly have abetter handle on how much money Boxters tend to lose (discounting the current 981 prices as they are being held up whereas I don't think teh 718's will).

So, if I am saving £16k on list for a 5 month old car, how much could I expect to sell it fro in say a year or 18 months. Private or to a dealer? The car has 2,500 miles now and I'd add around 10,000 per annum to that.

Anyone have any educated guesses?

Cheers

24 minutes ago, Dnomore said:

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a fully loaded 2017 model 718 S that would have been £72k in July at £56k now.

You guys will undoubtedly have abetter handle on how much money Boxters tend to lose (discounting the current 981 prices as they are being held up whereas I don't think teh 718's will).

So, if I am saving £16k on list for a 5 month old car, how much could I expect to sell it fro in say a year or 18 months. Private or to a dealer? The car has 2,500 miles now and I'd add around 10,000 per annum to that.

Anyone have any educated guesses?

Cheers

Wow, big drop, is that from an OPC/Other dealer/Private?

Good luck with guesses on future value though!  Who know???

Try putting an advert up on autotrader - it usually suggests a value.

I suppose it also depends if the extras (and there must be a fair amount of them if the original price was £72k) are what you would spec on a car. For me the colour would be the first choice, then rank the extras in order of what you would want, manual or PDK etc, and then decide. A 16k drop seems a lot to me after 5 months. Are you buying from a dealer (I suppose it would be still under warranty so that shouldn't be an issue) or if private, maybe the seller just wants a quick sale. November isn't the best time to sell a convertible.

Thanks, I thought someone would have a workable formula e.g

Base model List price = £56,000 (incl PDK)

Depreciation over 2 year = say 38% = -£21,280

Leaves £34,720

Original cost of extra s= £ 16,000

Allow say 50% of original cost of extras to still be included in final value = £8,000

Therefore total value of car after £2 years = £42,720

Cost price of £56,000 means my depreciation would be £13,280 based on a Private sale. £20,000 if  I sold to a dealer.

Does that makes sense to anyone, am I over egging one way or the other?

Personally, I only ever look at the cost to change. I always buy outright so no finance interest to take into account. Depreciation can`t be avoided unless you strike lucky. You`re a long time dead and there are no pockets in a shroud so do what you can while you can ! 

23 hours ago, Dnomore said:

Thanks, I thought someone would have a workable formula e.g

Base model List price = £56,000 (incl PDK)

Depreciation over 2 year = say 38% = -£21,280

Leaves £34,720

Original cost of extra s= £ 16,000

Allow say 50% of original cost of extras to still be included in final value = £8,000

Therefore total value of car after £2 years = £42,720

Cost price of £56,000 means my depreciation would be £13,280 based on a Private sale. £20,000 if  I sold to a dealer.

Does that makes sense to anyone, am I over egging one way or the other?

The problem is we have no real idea how 718 residuals are going to pan out. Likely they will not be as strong as 981. Your £43k price for a 2.5 year old 24k mileage car would have been about right on a 981 (I payed £48k for a well specced 15 month 8k car June last year) it looks like 718 prices are much softer, so despite what looks,like a great saving I would reckon to lose at least £15k over two years.

Cheers - my calculations were based on me keeping the car for 18 months and teh car then being 2 years old at the end. On that basis I might possibly be overestimating the deperaciation a little but even though it's an eye opener given I thought saving £16-£17k over list in the first 5 months might have protected me a lot more.

To be honest I procrastinated over a similar deal for a 981 S 3 years ago that I could have bought at £45k 6 months old.  That would have probably still been worth £40k and so now I can't bear to pay the premium for a 981 as it seems like a temporary hike in prices.

I had a thought with this...why not ask the OPC for a PCP quote as it gives a guaranteed future value...whilst it may not be accurate (and you dont want finance) it may give you a starting point of comparrison (bear in mind it takes no notice of 'options' except PDK IIRC)

Most options add little to no value to a car.  Certainly not 50% of cost.

Sometimes they do affect how quickly a car sells (TIP, PDK, Manual) or some color the potential buyer either demands or hates.

Tell me how the economy will be in 12-18 months and you'll have some insight into a high end car will sell. Gas crunch? Brexit? Global downturn? Things can't go on forever rising.

Archived