Dooohhh, sheared a nipple.

el 3.2S

On the outer edge of the disc there should be a little indent. That shows the point of maximum wear and when the disc face is flush with that it definitely needs changing. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

They do but he's 8 hours' drive away in Spain :)

MA? Aren't you a bit cold at the moment? :o

Cold isn't the word. We are going through the coldest spell in 100 years! Can't wait for our February vacation in Florida!

if you are going to remove the caliper... You should get a lot of heat on the carrier. Buy at least a blow torch. If you strip a thread in the carrier whilst trying to get the caliper off it will end in tears! 

5 hours ago, edc said:

On the outer edge of the disc there should be a little indent. That shows the point of maximum wear and when the disc face is flush with that it definitely needs changing. 

Thanks for that. Had a quick look but did not see anything, perhaps due to worn out? Will check more tomorrow.

2 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

if you are going to remove the caliper... You should get a lot of heat on the carrier. Buy at least a blow torch. If you strip a thread in the carrier whilst trying to get the caliper off it will end in tears! 

After my recent run of luck, I was expecting more trouble with the caliper this morning :flush:. Amazingly it came off without any problems, no heat needed. All I used was a little WD40 and a lot of elbow greese:showoff:. Even more amazingly, I had a large enough allen key to fit the bolts. Gave up trying to clamp the brake hose and ended up losing all my new fluid though 

On 1/4/2018 at 5:25 PM, JohnnyUK said:

Too much heat will kill the seals!

19 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Dropped the caliper off at the local garage yesterday. Hope they do not make things worse! Full Christmas her now today and tomorrow with Reyes (3 Kings) so won't get it back before Monday at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

Damned if you don't and damned if you do! Good point though. No point heating the caliper as it's the hub that the bolt could be fused into. I have my rear disks to change soon. ?? 

• 4 weeks later...
IMG-20180201-WA0000

Well my caliper is looking slightly sorry for itself and is a bit battle scarred now, but at least I will be able to use it again. The first two places I took it to failed in their attempts to fix the problem and only succeeded in messing it up a bit more. I have been away a while and so a friend took it to a garage that he uses to restore cars and they managed to do the job. They sent him this picture. Hopefully a dab of paint will have it like new again :lol:. The garage told him that it was a real struggle and will cost about 80 Euros. Bad enough but a lot less than a replacement one plus shipping. What I was finding whilst looking was that most places sell calipers in pairs.

I feel your pain, just had the local MOT station bleed my brakes as they replaced a few rusty lines and one of the nipples snapped, surprisingly they used an easy out, unsurprisingly it broke, I found a caliper on ebay and 2 days later car is back on the road. I'm now looking to find a local engineering or restoration firm with a spark eroder. At some point soon I'll be swapping out all the nipples for new, hopefully better ones, but am also considering rebuilding all four with new seals too.

Archived