This seems cheap

the baron

All 550 were 2004. This one looks to be on a 53 plate. Advert short on detail too but for sure worth a closer look. 

Surely more 'realistic' than 'cheap', given the mileage?

Ed - 53-plate means could be a Jan-Feb '04.

Cheers, Baggers.

5 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Surely more 'realistic' than 'cheap', given the mileage?

Ed - 53-plate means could be a Jan-Feb '04.

Cheers, Baggers.

It went on sale in the UK from March 2004. 

3 minutes ago, edc said:

It went on sale in the UK from March 2004. 

Ahh, I see...

Import? Or naff private reg?

Cheers, Baggers.

Don't know. I was just pointing out a slight oddity. When I bought mine I remember seeing one in Derby area. The dealer was claiming an import for a funny reg. I think it was 06 or something silly. 

You can also check the V5. It should say something like Boxster Anniversary Edition. The dodgy one I mention above didn't but that could be a quirky of the "import" registration. 

I'd say it's nothing more than the mileage - not that it's an issue but we all know it's a buying factor. Also the future re-sell value is probably also influencing this price as that mileage will only go one way....

A way into an Anniversary for someone with a constrained budget. With this mileage the car needs to have a pristine service and maintenance record. I would want to see evidence of a suspension refresh, water pump, radiator, air con condensers, coil packs, clutch etc. It could be a great car, but more likely it isn't. Worth a look though definitely.

Due for brakes all round, looking at the MOT history, which isn't exactly inspiring. Also, what's with the melted tray above the anniversary plaque?

If the service history stacks up though, it could be a good buy if you're after a reasonably priced Anniversary and can knock some money off for the brakes or negotiate that with the seller. Could be due some expensive bills, such as the clutch and DMF at that mileage.

Does look to be a genuine 550 though. Wheels, black dials on an 3.2 and what appear to be factory litronics (has washers)...

Seems a bit pointless paying that sort of money for a 'collectors' car when it's got such a high mileage that collectors won't touch it with a bargepole. Just get a decent S and put a fresh set of M030 on it with the money you save.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Seems a bit pointless paying that sort of money for a 'collectors' car when it's got such a high mileage that collectors won't touch it with a bargepole. Just get a decent S and put a fresh set of M030 on it with the money you save.

Agreed with this 100%.

My post was directed at someone dead set on an Anniversary. It does come with some nice options like litronics and the wheels (marmite), but there are well equipped 'vanilla' 3.2 cars out there for less money if you look hard enough / are patient.

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Due for brakes all round, looking at the MOT history, which isn't exactly inspiring. Also, what's with the melted tray above the anniversary plaque?

If the service history stacks up though, it could be a good buy if you're after a reasonably priced Anniversary and can knock some money off for the brakes or negotiate that with the seller. Could be due some expensive bills, such as the clutch and DMF at that mileage.

Does look to be a genuine 550 though. Wheels, black dials on an 3.2 and what appear to be factory litronics (has washers)...

It is a genuine 550 Ani. As well as all the 2003/2004 cars that are referred to as Anniversaries (but aren't) there are also one or two genuine cars that have some questionable mods. Seen one for sale where someone has fitted DRLs on the front, painted the wheels gloss black, red brake Calipers and fitted with a different exhaust. It looks like a dogs dinner to me at just over 70k miles.

In in the defence of the 135k mile car, it looks nice and factory standard. It is also probably been used regularly throughout its life. If it is now bought by someone as a second car and kept in a garage, doing low miles and being well maintained, the mileage will look more reasonable after time. 

Archived