I've got an "Officer Dibble"...

John K

... a dribble.

Seeing how it was hosing down today I thought I would see if there were any obvious drips causing the condensation.

Turns out I have a dribble from the front passengers A pillar where the roof meets it, it then runs over the hump at the top of the pillar and drips onto the round upper speaker grill before ending up in the foot well.

Is this a typical dribble spot and something an Indy should be able to fix?

Cheers

22 minutes ago, John K said:

... a dribble.

Seeing how it was hosing down today I thought I would see if there were any obvious drips causing the condensation.

Turns out I have a dribble from the front passengers A pillar where the roof meets it, it then runs over the hump at the top of the pillar and drips onto the round upper speaker grill before ending up in the foot well.

Is this a typical dribble spot and something an Indy should be able to fix?

Cheers

Just had a quick look at mine, albeit roof up. If i understand your description correctly it sounds like either the roof is not seating correctly or maybe you need a new rubber seal. Either way i would have thought an easy fix for an indy.

Took a picture - saves lots of typing...

The yellow arrow shows where it is coming in - well, more accurately where it is exiting. I've tried to track down leaks before and this one is probably starting in the boot...

The dribble.jpg

29 minutes ago, John K said:

Took a picture - saves lots of typing...

The yellow arrow shows where it is coming in - well, more accurately where it is exiting. I've tried to track down leaks before and this one is probably starting in the boot...

The dribble.jpg

Had another look at mine; still reckon it's a dodgy seal.  Have you checked there's no obvious damage to seal?

I am sure I've found the problem / cause of the dribble. The seal on the passenger side is folded over and leaves a gap where the water can run down the A pillar.

If you compare the two pics it should be visible - do you think I'm right?

Problem is that the rubber seal runs across the width of the roof so if it is that it would need replacing all in one go.

I've tried to hold the seal into the right place whilst locking down the roof and we will see.

Drivers side seal

passenger side seal

I had this issue a while ago.I think the rubber gets less flexible due to age and cold. I sorted mine out with silicone spray and with the occasional preventative spray its never happened again.

I'd suggest warming the seal with a hairdryer to allow it to assume its natural profile, maybe help it back into shape manually. Once its back to its designed profile, should be fine!

At immense personal risk to my fingers I held the seal where I think it should be whilst closing the roof.

Lets see if the weather gods will be kind enough to throw it down and we can see if the dwibble has gone.

If all is well, then I can try to coax it into position as previously suggested.

Oh Quadratic Equations....

I didn't look like rain so I went out and gently sprayed the roof with water. No direct stream against the seals, just a nice simulated pitter patter

And it still dripped.

I can see this is going to become a long term quest similar to collecting a golden fleece...

I had another good look at the seal when applying the Gummi Pflege 

It is very hard to describe but if you look really carefully at the plastic surround that sits under the seal and you see when in the car and in the bottom of my pictures can be seen between the window and the seal itself, there is a little protruding lug which the seal should clip under and that would keep the seal pressed against the window.

So Gummi was liberally applied and the seal popped back under the lug. 

Fingers crossed that was the leak point.

On 28/01/2018 at 4:25 PM, John K said:

And I've figured out I can use the Gummi Pflege to keep my rubber gimp suit in good knick... So will deffo get good value from it...

1411291097234_wps_5_https_www_facebook_c

There are times when I really worry about you :wacko:

16 minutes ago, rowbos said:

You go drinking with John I assume, it's got to be bad when he turns up at the pub dressed like this? :D

Say what you like, it's easy to wipe down if you spill your Ale...

Archived