Quick question re Frunk

Saxosim

Evening All,

It’s my second night of ownership of my new to me 986 S and I wanted to ask a quick question please.

I haven’t got a CTEK charger/ conditioner yet so I just wondered, as my Boxster lives in the garage can I safetly leave the frunk popped ajar just incase the battery goes flat so I can gain access to it?  The interior light doesn’t appear to come on when the frunk is left ajar but I wanted to check incase I inadvertently cause the battery to go flat.

Thanks in advance :)

Bear in mind leaving the frunk open will cause the lamp to remain on.

What year is your 986 - does it have cable operated boot release with handles or just buttons?

How long do you seriously expect to leave the car sitting in the garage for?

I used to use my 986 (and now 996) every 5 days or so and i've never had an issue with flat batteries.

Longest i've left one is about 3 weeks for hols with no fuss either.

Thanks will use it on weekends currently till the weather gets a bit better.  The battery is fairly new I believe (year or so).  I guess it will probably be fine between only a week at a time.

Just didn’t know what to expect as I read so many posts of batteries going flat 

36 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Bear in mind leaving the frunk open will cause the lamp to remain on.

What year is your 986 - does it have cable operated boot release with handles or just buttons?

Ah good point it’s a 2002, pull buttons on the sill to release it to the latch.  I just can’t tell if the frunk light is on when it’s on the latch.

I am sure it will be fine with a week or so max between drives in the crappy weather

38 minutes ago, DrKW59 said:

Close the frunk latch with a screwdriver with the frunk still open and the car will go to sleep as normal and you'll still have access to the battery. As its in the garage its secure!

Kevin

Thanks do you mean just use the screwdriver to move the latch across?  Will try that if I have any bother in the future thanks.

Thanks all for the advice :)

Agreed to the above - wasn't sure about how things left open affect sleep-mode (further draining the battery)

Sorry, I'm confused by pull buttons.

Do the look like this:

s-l225.jpg

or this:

s-l300.jpg

If the former, I can't see the point of this unless with a dead battery the driver's door cannot be unlocked manually?! Could somone confirm?

5 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Thanks do you mean just use the screwdriver to move the latch across?  Will try that if I have any bother in the future thanks.

Thanks all for the advice :)

Yes, take a look at how the latch closes as the bonnet closes down. I originally used a large cup hook and you'll soon see how.

Kevin

Put your mobile phone in the trunk with it on video, you will then be able to see if the light goes out or stays on.

my 986 is good for about 3 weeks without the battery going flat, I use a Ctek Mx5 conditioner/charger plugged into the cig lighter socket on the dash which stays live all the time on an 02 986, hope this of some help. Enjoy your new car.

7 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Agreed to the above - wasn't sure about how things left open affect sleep-mode (further draining the battery)

Sorry, I'm confused by pull buttons.

Do the look like this:

s-l225.jpg

or this:

s-l300.jpg

If the former, I can't see the point of this unless with a dead battery the driver's door cannot be unlocked manually?! Could somone confirm?

The second one.  Thanks 

I always do this. Leave on the latch, on a CTEK charger, but also put a specially cut piece of wood next to the latch so that you can't close the frunck by accident.

Anyone whose had a battery die on them and then also had a problem with the lock will know the procedure for opening the frunck with the 'wire pull' is best avoided.

I've also done this when I laid my 996 up for a couple of months and disconnected the battery.

Once bitten twice shy - I know I'm annoying, but I also never close the bonnet until I've opened a door.......

AaS

On 24/01/2018 at 9:53 AM, Greenman said:

Is this Bally’s old car?  If so ping him a message  and ask whether he’s had any recent issues with battery and how long he has left the car for typically.

Thanks yes it is Ballys old car, the battery isn’t that old as he changed it within the past few years I think so I am not expecting any problems in the shortish times between use most weekends unless it’s crappy weather.  Just curious incase I do run into any problems so I can easily get to the battery to jump it. 

53 minutes ago, johnk1946 said:

On my 987.2 I close the frunk lid onto the C Tek cable, there’s plenty of give in the sealing rubber to accommodate it.

When i charge which is not that often i do the same

Archived