Rusty Jack points

Lennym1984

Hi

The front jack points on my 1998 986 are beginning to look a little worse for wear and I'm wondering what others in this situation have done. 

It looks to be surface rust only (I'm  guessing the paint has been damaged over the years and water has crept in), so was simply planning to brush it off, treat it, and then cover it in underseal, but if anybody has a better solution, I'd love to hear it. 

Thanks in advance

I had a similar issue on my '97. I decided to get it sorted by a bodyshop to stop it getting any worse. Unfortunately, the bits you see are usually the proverbial tip of the iceberg. I don't have pics of mine, but here's a similar story on a 996.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124042&sid=ff20ed81869f368ef5e39f5c1481ad8b

Ha ha I have read that 996 story before with horror. In my case, I ended up taking an afternoon off and sorting them out with a grinder. It was only surface rust and appears to be where the sealant has been damaged. The metal underneath was nice and clean so no worries there. 

That said, I would still recommend taking a mirror around all of the sills to check for rust. I do it every few months because like that 996 proves, they are beginning to get to the age where even galvanised metal starts to struggle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived