Window Not Dropping Enough

Eddy555

My driver's window isn't dropping enough when the handle is pulled either inside or outside. It drops about 0.5cm.

However with the door open, if I wind the window down and then back up again, it seems to stop at the correct postion (around 1.25cm drop) which allows the door to be closed without the window hitting the frame.

The car apparently had a new regulator fitted around July 2017 (I think OE quality rather than a Porsche part).

I've not been able to find anything about this kind of issue, only ones that just don't work.

Is there some kind of adjustment that can be made for the regulator?

Im not sure on the 986 but on 987 there are micro switches on the inside handle and the exterior. If they are playing up then the window can get confused.

Is this an ongoing issue or something that is happening in the cold weather?

Thanks, I've only had the car just over a week so I'm not sure if this is caused by the cold weather. The handle switch seems to activate the window drop reliably, but it doesn't drop enough. It could just be the "cheap" OE quality regulator that's at fault.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the windows?

Resetting means send the window all the way down and keep holding the switch for 20 seconds, do the same raising the window. Do both sides and see what happens.

Turn your ignition to the second position before you remove the negative off the battery and also check you have the code for the stereo ?

I've tried resetting the window positions by holding the button for both fully down and fully up positions foir about 5 seconds (Seemed to be the value I've seen most commonly mentioned).

I've not tried disconnecting the battery so I'll look at trying that (Also need to check if I have the stereo code)

I replaced my window regulator a while back because the window was not dropping enough after ruling out the microswitch. The original Porsche regulator I removed did not have any adjustment but the OE replacement had a bowden cable adjuster. I guess it depends on the OE make. You might get lucky.

If you go down that route be careful about removing the door membrane. They are relatively expensive. And they need to be reattached with a decent mastic or you will have a cabin leak. Oh and you will break some trim clips...

2 hours ago, geraintthomas said:

I had the same problem, it's a stretched cable. Take some slack out of it by pulling the cable and fitting some cable ties in the gap and it'll fix the issue. A bicycle brake adjuster will also be handy.

Nice one, I think I've got some old cable adjusters kicking around so I can use those.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to looking at this today. Thought I had a result as the regulator that's fitted had some adjustment.

IMG_20180325_100907-01.thumb.jpeg.1b4a7cbdecbc6eff9d7b08f6fe2d53d8.jpeg

Made the adjustments, the window dropped further and then put it all back together. Tried it a few times and the window dropped dropping as much until it's back as it was before! Any thoughts on why that happened?

Archived