Bonnet Brakelight bulb

John2000

You really do need to read every word written on here because you will never know when that little bit of information will save your bacon.

I read a post on here nit long ago that said  if you lose a screw when changing the bonnet brakelight bulb you can use one from the front covers that hold the cover either side of the battery cover, this saved my bacon, although my bulb was fine I stupidly went looking for trouble by deciding to clean the fading brakelight and checkout how to replace the bulb at the same time

Taking every care not to lose a screw when removing the light because this was what the other guy had done in the other post, but what I did not realise was that the screws are held in place by rubber bungs that disappear behind the boot carpet somewhere!!! when you remove the screw.

I fixed my problem by taking a bung that held the front cover. My thinking was if you can use the screw you should be able to use the bung this allowed me to refit the brakelight and take the car out of service mode, this was a big relief as it was about to rain.

I never did get to see how to change the bulb because it would not disconnect from the holder.

I know I have always been cr#p with a spanner but I now know I can't even change a bulb.

The shame of it.

Called the local OPC and ask if they will post a rubber bung to me, none it stock so one on order £3.50 and a few days wait and I should be back to normal

Such a bad design, right up there with the coolant tank:flush:.

My third brake light is still held in place with sticky tack. I lost the screws about a year ago, ordered more at the dealers and they never got back to me. Could not be bothered making another two trips so my temporary fix is still holding!  

16 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Such a bad design, right up there with the coolant tank:flush:.

My third brake light is still held in place with sticky tack. I lost the screws about a year ago, ordered more at the dealers and they never got back to me. Could not be bothered making another two trips so my temporary fix is still holding!  

•  

I could order you a couple if you wanted and post them to you.

41 minutes ago, John2000 said:

I could order you a couple if you wanted and post them to you.

Thanks for the generous offer - not necessary though as I should get round to it at some point. The sticky tack is well up to the job thankfully, not that I am using my car though as it has been off the road since November, due to broken brake bleed nipple and leaking coolant tank. Both of which have caused me some grief but getting resolved hopefully.

Archived