Tempermental Hood Microswitch

Clivescoobydo

Hi all finally got round to taking my hard top off and I've got problems with the hood microswitch in the catch area. I think as its been static for months it's got sticky so I lubed it which sort of helped but it's very intermittent. Once the hood is unlatched I assume this is the first signal in the hood function as nothing happens until I fiddle with it and then the Windows drop and the hood functions.  Has anyone had this problem and changed the microswitch behind the light mount? Appreciate guidance on how to remove and microswitch cost, thanks.

It's certainly been done before and posted here. You can try tapping quickly the switch with your finger to see if that helps unstick it. 

Thanks EDC I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything related to replacing the actual switch. Surprising as I think it's a common problem. Tapping quickly does bring it to life but 50% of the time it stops the hood dropping/lifting process half way. I saw a poor quality vid on YouTube which gave me the gist of how to replace  - pop the alarm lenses, remove the mount 2 torx fasteners, disconnect and remove the spire fasteners that hold the switch.  Switch is £40ish. 

Thanks all replaced the microswitch hood now working great.  Apparently it's a common problem and there is a vid of sorts on how to replace on YouTube, but I thought I'd give a few tips for anyone else with this problem. This is how I did it:

remove alarm movement sensor plastics

remove 2 hi torx fasteners

pull centre facia down, there are 3 very short flyleads connected - alarm, hood microswitch and interior light

the alarm disconnected straight away, going off to my neighbours annoyance, I fiddled with the key fib and ignition and eventually turn it off

the microswitch disconnected easily but couldn't disconnect the light. So remove the bulb and fiddle the light through the facia still connected

be careful removing the 2 tiny spire washers that hold the microswitch in position, I managed to lever these up gradually using a small metal pick and reuse the washers using the nib of a ball point pen.

Hope this helps anyone with same problem.

Archived