Small hood rip

Simon_S

Hi All

Was about to give the hood a good clean for the season when I found a small rip. I know what caused it, I had some hood mechanism issues over the winter which are now resolved. The rip looks like it can be sorted by sewing a piece of seat belt behind to reinforce and gluing the edges down. I have an old seatbelt and a sail sewing awl to do the job. But I cant get at it because the frame is in the way at the moment. Question is, is there a way to detach just the rear of the hood from the frame (the bit you lift for servicing) while the hood is in situ, or does the whole thing need to come off?

Just to point out that there is a waterproof membrane below the outer fabric finish. Seat belt material is not waterproof so the hood's proofing will be compromised. May not be an issue depending upon the size and location of the tear.

Thanks for the info Bob. I didn't know about the membrane but the hole is right above the scuttle so any water ingress will go straight back out again, so I have some time to think about a solution. I had the rear plastic window replaced recently and before I do anything I think l'll take it back to the same place for advice. It's not a hard job to do. But to get to it is a real pain!

Archived