Tear in Seats - Black Leather (Vinly?)

KT986

Question to the Board

My original grey leather seats are baldly worn - so scored a very nice set in Black which I want to install , bar a 1 1/2 inch tear in the seat bolster of the drivers seat ( Which I think is leatherette) .

Steering wheel has also baldly worn bits from 9 O clock to 3 O clock  and could do with a refresh .

Question is , I am bamboozled by all the products available on flea bay and the variations in price make me think some are not as good as others . Has anyone on here done this DIY and have good feedback on a specific product ?

Much Appreciated in advance

KT

Hi there

Ive used the gliptone scuff kit before, which is fine for minor scuffs etc. I also used the same stuff thinned with water through a mini spray gun to change the colour of some door grabs. It worked fantastic and the colour change was from beige to black.

I also had my 986s seats restored by a friend of mine who did it for a living.

The repairing of a tear is best left to a professional as it is quite involved using flexible fillers. These leather guys aren't too expensive to use so ring for quote.

He did tell me the make of the products he used but I can't remember. I know they are widely available and not too expensive but its the experience and the skills you can't buy?

• 2 weeks later...

Go onto Furnitureclinic site and ring them if need be, a tear is actually very easy to do, I did 2 or 3 on my seats and got an excellent result with no prior knowledge.

If there's a hole . To do a permanent repair the panel would have to be replaced . Or if its near a sewing line the cover can be removed the worn bit cut out then sewn back togeather. These fillers are ok but there are used by the dealers just to make the seat look ok to sell. They are not permanent.  Dyes are good for scuffs. 

Archived