Handbrake binding

spyderman8

The last couple of times the 550 Anni has been put away, the hand brake shoes have bonded and it’s been a right pain to get the car to move. Admittedly the second time I had just washed the car and put it away without having driven it as it had started to rain.

My question is, are the shoes now likely knackered? To my knowledge, at 50k miles, they never been changed. It’s not due a service until May or June but I skipped it’s usual oil change last year (basically forgot) and I’m wondering if I should just give it it’s major now and do the MoT when it’s due in July. Will need plugs and brake fluid too.

I doubt the shoes are knackered from a couple of instances of binding and 50k miles, I think mine have been on for 143k miles as no record of them ever being changed, however the moving parts could be quite corroded by now which may be causing the issue. Personally I'd just leave it until the MOT to keep things simple and maybe leave it in gear rather than with the handbrake on when putting it away.

I used to get this when I washed my car and put it away without drying the brakes off. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was the main brake pads getting stuck to the discs. Can water get into the handbrake shoes? ?

The handbrake is never on in the garage - it’s flat so I just leave the car in gear. I guess they must be so close to the bell that even a tiny amount of water was enough to bridge the gap. I think the discs and pads are at least four years old so might need replacing anyway. Guess I won’t known until RPM have it.

Maybe the shoes need adjusting away from the drum? When I did mine, I adjusted at the hub first and then adjusted the lever. Having said that, it was an advise on the MOT that it wasn't very effective, so may need new shoes myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:41 AM, Shazbot said:

For long time lay up of any of my cars i have always left the handbrake off and car in 1st gear.

Me too - it still bonded.

Archived