Ex demo prices

basaltbox

While I understand that Porsche have put a stop to the dealers discounting new cars there will be no problem with ex-demo stock. For a car that doesn't meet my ideal specification and been driven by every TD&H I would be looking for a significant discount on the new price, probably 15 - 20% off would be my opening bid.

Well obviously it depends how much you value getting your exact spec, because you're unlikely to. However, if you didn't have many extra options on your 'must have' list, and you're after one of the more common popular :) colours (*cough* silver *cough*), you may well be able to get what you want, and more, for less money.

I've not bought an ex-demo car as such, but my 2015 981 was already specified and built, but not registered (possibly a cancelled order I guess), and sitting at a different OPC than my local. I got over £5k off the optioned-up price, simply because Guildford were so desperate for sales before their month-end. And Mrs61's Audi was a pre-registered car - one of the ones they do to get their numbers up. As a result it was officially ~6 months old (so not the then-current registration) but had not even been used as a demonstrator). We got it for an over £9k discount (on a ~£35k car) which we thought was a very good deal.

So I'd say you have to be either lucky - in being in the right place at the right time - or alternatively do a lot of online/phone research into what cars are available around the country. I don't know whether OPCs do the pre-registration trick in big numbers (though I suspect they sometimes run more demonstrators than they strictly need, for the same purpose, and may get around topradio's restriction that way). But from many other stories I've heard, the month-end sales target is a big issue for many (if not all) of them, which can work in your favour if you're a ready buyer.

Mine wasn't a demo as much as a stop gap for a "good customer" awaiting a special order - he had the car for 6 months while waiting for his car & put 5,000 miles on it.

I got about 17% off list +options so happy with the result.

I also visited the OPC towards the end of the month as that is when they get nervous about their monthly targets - do your homework about their stock and national stock before going and be prepared to spend a few hours negotiating.

I bought my 718 with 700 miles on the clock.

It was the colour I wanted and it had many extras I wouldn't have specified.

I was pleased and surprised that the dealer accepted the offer I made!

Archived