New Battery vs Trickle Charger

karlp606

My boxster has been at Revolution the past week getting the leaky passenger side fixed, after speaking to Danny he asked me if I needed to jump the car off a lot as the battery kept going flat whilst at RP, it's always been fine at mine and never needed jumping off, so drive the car from Leeds to Hull thinking that would give it a good charge as its only been moved around the garage at RP, but tried to start the car again today and no joy :( flat as a pancake! So do you think these symptoms suggest a new battery or its just lost charge whilst at RP and I should buy a trickle charger???

m

How old is the battery?  A drive from Leeds to Hull would put a decent charge in - sounds like a new battery to me. The one on my daughters Corsa went from fine to U/S in a day. I would  recommend you buy a battery conditioner whatever the outcome if your car is not a daily. CTEK are excellent but pricy - Lidl sell a good one in the winter for about £20  which a good few folk on here have. The conditioner is a bit more sophisticated than a trickle charger as it can be attached permantly when the car is not in use keeping the charge topped up.It will not charge a completly flat battery though, for technical reasons I don't understand ?

10 minutes ago, Topbox said:

How old is the battery?  A drive from Leeds to Hull would put a decent charge in - sounds like a new battery to me. The one on my daughters Corsa went from fine to U/S in a day. I would  recommend you buy a battery conditioner whatever the outcome if your car is not a daily. CTEK are excellent but pricy - Lidl sell a good one in the winter for about £20  which a good few folk on here have. The conditioner is a bit more sophisticated than a trickle charger as it can be attached permantly when the car is not in use keeping the charge topped up.It will not charge a completly flat battery though, for technical reasons I don't understand ?

Battery looks a lot newer than a original and has never shown any problems before, cars been left parked up around 3 weeks before. 

I presume as you said a conditioner/trickle charger won't get the battery going again? :/ 

5 minutes ago, Topbox said:

A decent garage can test the battery and tell you if its any good or not 

Yeh caught in 2 minds as to go to halfords and get them to test it but will need AA to come jump me off first, unless AA can usually test it'?

1. Battery gone. Test battery before replacing. Requires battery be charged. Any battery shop could test. No special Porsche tool needed.

2. Alternator or voltage regulator. Test at battery connection points with voltmeter with engine at idle and at 3k. Any battery shop could test. No special Porsche tool needed.

3, Parasitic draw developed. Test by removing fuses one at a time and seeing if still happens.

There are chargers, maintainers, tenders, desulfication units and trickle chargers and even some expensive units which combine several of these functions. Some maintainers require a moderate charge of the battery to be present before it can be maintained. I actually have a charger which I'd use for maybe 4 hours or so, a maintainer which I'd use for weeks , a multi-meter which I'd use to test voltage or current draw, and a load tester.

40 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

The Hankook batteries are excellent value. Made in Korea, the manufacturer of them is a large oem supplier. 

Just got this https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/powerline/110/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI74Hbn8_S2gIVzb_tCh1jugHwEAQYBSABEgJuHvD_BwE

More Ah and more cranks, not bad value I think. 

2 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

I think that's the one I bought last year along with a Lidl charger for £14 to keep it topped up between runs. Mine had a vent on it which you connect to the piece of piping in the battery tray which vents to below the car any hydrogen that get generated.

On 24 April 2018 at 3:52 PM, PaulQ said:

Turn the ignition on before disconnecting or the alarm will go off. 

Swapped it tonight, car still opened thankfully!

nice and easy, old battery eye view hole thing was completely dark so showing no charge, it was a excide battery, didn't look that old but doesn't look a brilliant brand.

7 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Swapped it tonight, car still opened thankfully!

nice and easy, old battery eye view hole thing was completely dark so showing no charge, it was a excide battery, didn't look that old but doesn't look a brilliant brand.

Well done fella, hopefully you will not have battery problems for a year or five :D

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

Sometimes you need to shine a torch in the magic eye to see if they are green. Exide is a decent brand btw, but glad you got it sorted :)

Might drop it into it halfords next time passing get them to test it. 

Archived