Complete Refurbishment - Driver and Passenger Seats

nick_johnson

I'm interested to know if anybody has completed refurbished their Driver and Passenger seats, in their 986 or any other model for that matter. 

The seats actually aren't in bad condition, since cleaning them and conditioning the leather I'm very happy how they've come up however the drivers seat makes a whole host of different noises and it feels like the seat base bolsters are a bit loose.

The cars covered over 100,000 miles therefore this seat has see some action. 

I'm interested to know if there any companies that could completely strip down the seats, replace any worn parts and put them back together again?  

The drivers seat on my Mercedes was ripped and we used this guy, in Acton. Just off the A40.

Total cost was £140 and it was a great job,  matched the new leather to the existing seat. looks totally stock.

He had a few premium and sports cars in, one being a BMW M6 having a total interior colour change!!!

C E Moore Ltd
Auto upholsterer in London, England

Address: 37 Disraeli Rd, London NW10 7AX
Hours: 
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30PM
Phone020 8961 2225

I am wondering if it's possible to swap the (986) seat backs, drivers to passengers, which would put the least worn sections into the higher wear areas? Anyone know if this is possible? Also maybe swap over the complete foam/leather unit out of the seat bases. 

Mine are in very good condition as it has just under 50k and the previous owner was a total enthusiast who kept the car in tip top condition. The fact that he was small and light also helped minimise seat wear & tear. 

On 27/04/2018 at 1:48 PM, Eddy555 said:

http://www.bespokeleathering.com/ did a great job on my E39 530 seats. Came up looking lovely and have lasted well too.

Thanks for the reply’s, I will take a look at both of these opinion. Looking at Bespoke Leathering’s website this seems the exactly the kind of service that I need. 

On the 986 seat there is a plastic tray with a netting panel that the cover and foam are fitted to . usually that net brakes as well as the plastic that the plugs attach to. 100K miles i would renew the foam and plastic tray.  People get a little upset about car interiors but like every other part on the car they have a life span.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, TomGW said:

I am wondering if it's possible to swap the (986) seat backs, drivers to passengers, which would put the least worn sections into the higher wear areas? Anyone know if this is possible? Also maybe swap over the complete foam/leather unit out of the seat bases. 

Mine are in very good condition as it has just under 50k and the previous owner was a total enthusiast who kept the car in tip top condition. The fact that he was small and light also helped minimise seat wear & tear. 

I have a set of 986 sports seats apart at the moment and the base is the same as the standard ones. You can swap the plastic base and foam, the base has holes cut on both sides for the controls and the foam just sits on the top. However the leather is individual to the side as it only has the cut out for tilt switches on right for driver and left for passenger The backs I think can be swapped form side to side. 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, Terryg said:

I have a set of 986 sports seats apart at the moment and the base is the same as the standard ones. You can swap the plastic base and foam, the base has holes cut on both sides for the controls and the foam just sits on the top. However the leather is individual to the side as it only has the cut out for tilt switches on right for driver and left for passenger The backs I think can be swapped form side to side. 

I've just stripped both seats on my 03 986 and had the driver bolster leather replaced but I didn't see anything on mine that suggested they're handed. There are tilt pulls on both sides. They're not difficult to take apart at all.

The plastic frame on the driver's side base on mine was broken and the netting mentioned above but the trimmer who did the leather repaired it . £140 total because he happened to have an offcut of tan leather . 

Archived